Chapter 1 - Miss Rodriguez

A handsome middle-aged man with tawny hair and white teeth speaks passionately to the cheering people. "Not only does VAIR provide rehabilitation and countless wonderful possibilities for our children, but it can be used to reform our own prisons filled with our misguided members of society. Imagine the endless possibilities! We can reteach our more misguided members of society once more like our own small children. Not just showing those poor lost souls of society how to reintegrate themselves into society and become productive citizens that can change the world, but we can instill love and actual values into them. By using VAIR we are not only ensuring a brighter and better tomorrow but one filled with zero criminal repeat offenders!"

he roar of cheers causes the kind tawny haired politician to cease speaking and wait patiently for the cheer to dimmer down. With a flashing smile, he resumes the motivating speech, "But even more importantly for the victims of those that will be serving out their life or death sentences, we will ensure justice is enacted. We will teach our misguided members of society empathy and guilt to truly understand the consequences of their actions and enable them to fully understand consequences their actions have had on the innocent members of society. Justice will finally be achieved," The handsome, family politician proudly proclaimed.

The crowd widely cheers as a young mousey faced female journalist stands up and shouts. "Senator Ricks, sir! Is it true that VAIR is being used for torture and inhumane treatment of death row and life sentenced criminals, but on ordinary citizens as well by the government?!"

Senator Ricks concernedly says over the crowds murmuring, "That was a concern for me too, Miss Rodriguez. But I can assure you that there are proper protocols in place to protect every citizen of our great nation including those sentenced to serve out justice in prison." Before the female journalist can ask another question, the crowd's cheer drowns out her next words. Subtly from behind her, guards dressed in casual clothing engulf her on either side and firmly escort her out of the assembly out onto the street.

Somewhat rudely the guards push her out of the area onto the open street. Miss Rodriguez whips her head and glares at them. "Tell Senator Ricks that is not only infringing my freedom of speech but the laws of the land set in place that protect the press! Tell Senator Ricks, that this won't be the last time, he'll be hearing from me!" Miss Rodriguez stiffly stated, before turning on her heels.

Miss Rodriguez pulls out a small electronic recorder and speaks into the silver end. "Senator Ricks is avoiding the question. Today's actions prove that there is more to the story. Must go see Orange find out more," She firmly stated, before turning the recorder off and tucking it into her brown side bag. With her head held up high with confidence, she proudly walks towards the bus stop just across the street from the stop light.

She may be a journalist, but she was one who could not afford to own her own car yet! Feeling slightly peeved, Miss Rodriguez sighs as she stops at the stoplight and adjusts her blue velvet coat. A present from her mother, but couldn't it have been a bit classier?

Miss Rodriguez impatiently glances at the light willing it to turn red. Sadly the trick fails, as she worriedly eyes the bus stop and the fake designer watch on her wrist. The bus should be coming any minute now and there would be hell to pay if she missed it by just a few seconds! That would mean walking in five-inch heels little over three blocks to reach the next stop home. Her feet would not only kill her, but her good pair of shoes would be ruined!

A soft rustle can be heard from behind so low, that no one hears it except for a yellow lab. The dog lets out a low whine as its ear ears go down. The owner of the dog doesn't notice too busy liking a comment posted by his friend on his account feed.