* V3 - Chapter 70 - Prelude Ⅳ

The dark-haired man calls Atlas as he strides towards the office. The phone click is heard as he asks, "Where are you?"

"I will be dealing with the mess you made. I'll be back by midnight at the latest," Atlas curtly said, before ending the call.

The dark-haired man frowns at the brisk tone of voice directed at him. Frowning, he dials another number and says, "Scramble a team together, an urgent job has come up."

"Yes, sir," came the swift reply. The dark-haired man swiftly returns to his office to begin preparations to flush out a mole.

*

That night Cessair returns from the grocery store with milk and some general groceries. The house is dark and quiet when Cessair pulls into the driveway. His feet crunch loudly against the newly fallen snow. With a grocery bag in each hand, Cessair fumbles to open the door until he manages to get it open. The house is dark as he stomps his boots clean on the welcome mat, before making his way to the dark kitchen.

No doubt, the kids were already in bed and his wife was waiting in bed. Smiling cheerfully to himself he places the groceries on the kitchen counter, when something catches attention, a faint unknown scent. Before Cessair can react, he hears something moving towards him and a second later a head-splitting crack is felt. Cessair falls to the old kitchen tile floor as a boot appears in his line of vision and nothing more.

*

The Queen Mother glowers hatefully at the emotionless mortal before her. "I should kill, you where you stand! Do you think I am not aware that it is your people who killed my only child, my poor son, Draco! I should have you torn limb from limb, while you yet live as punishment!" The Queen Mother roared from her ivory throne.

Atlas coldly says, "Your child was dealing in humans. We had warned him and he was aware that the agency would not tolerate his actions again. The agency represents humanity interests and you best remember that your majesty. I needn't remind you of the pact between the Conclave and the Agency and the recursions should you break the truce."

The Queen Mother's nostrils flair in anger as she leans back on the ivory throne. "I am aware of the pacts in place, you, deplorable little man," The Queen Mother hissed. "I will abide by the pacts, but the pact does not apply to personal bloodline feuds. I declare it to be so, a life for a life until the debt is repaid, the Conclave shall never more tolerate your presence, Atlas Starr. Envoys are to be sent in your stead if needed. Now, depart at once from my court before I claim what is rightfully mine!"

Atlas Starr nods at the Queen Mother before departing from her court. Firmly escorted out of the Conclave. Atlas enters the waiting chopper on the roof and signals for the pilot to depart. Over the sound of the chopper rotors, Atlas says into the intercom, "I need to be dropped off prior to the agency."

"Yes, sir," the pilot stated making the arrangements as they head to the nearest airport.

*

Soft whispers can be heard as Cessair groans awake. A flashlight flickers in his eyes causing his splitting headache to roar even more. Cessair over his splitting headache tires to find his family. He can scent his family nearby in the house, frightened. Squinting his eyes, Cessair sees a figure sitting in the shadows. Cessair growls, "What do you want with me and my family?"

The man says, "It's you I want, they are merely unfortunate collateral damage."

Cessair swallows and says, "What do you want to know?"

"Simple, I want to know, who you work for?"

"I don't know, I was merely asked to follow you. Nothing more."