A Thief in the Desert

I was done building my underground shop, and business was actually pretty good. I mean, it was in a mineshaft, and I sold pickaxes too. Diamond pickaxes, and thaumium picks. Useful stuff, especially since it's a mine. My face was recovering well, but I was still wearing the bandages. I had also taken to wearing gloves, it was less unnerving to both me and the customers.

"Thank you for your purchase- Oh be careful with that!" I called after a villager who purchased a diamond sword, and he was swinging it around carelessly. The chimes rang again.

"Welcome!" I say automatically, without turning around.

"Do you have arrows in stock?" Came the voice. I turned around, and was shocked by who I saw.

"Tull, what are you doing here?" I asked, and the boy's eyes widened.

"Esq- Amelia? What are YOU doing here?" He replied, confused. I was more surprised that he recognised me, to be perfectly honest. And the fact that he almost called me by the name I hated ticked me a little.

"I live here now. I just got here a week ago, with that mage. You know, the guy who was carrying a girl with missing arm?" I trailed off, and Tull looked a little surprised and amazed.

"I thought you died Tull. Where were you all this while?" I ask, a little confused. He shrugged.

"I've been around, you know."

"Not stealing, I hope?"

"Well, I am a thief... But I'm not gonna steal from a weapons store. I learnt my lesson the last time I tried. Six broken bones, I recall."

"Seven, and a dislocated jaw." I corrected him, and Tull shrugged. It came as a surprise to find an old friend out here in the desert, especially when he had been "dead" for a long time. Tull was a thief in the old world, he was not exactly a pro, but I taught him a few things. Although, someone with half a mind would think twice before listening to MY advice. I was the worst liar ever. And I wasn't much of a thief.

"What happened to your face? Also to answer your question of what I was doing here... I'm thieving. Also yeah I saw that mage. Rythian, right?" He replied, and I snarled a little at his comment regarding my face.

"Duncan blew Rythian and Zoey up, and I was nearby. Face got blown off." I said, pulling down the bandage to show the damage. His eyes widened.

"Whoa. That is crazy. Not forgetting that Rythian and Zoey are living together how long have they been dating?"

"They're not. They just live together because Zoey's the apprentice. And yes, it's crazy. Duncan, of all people, and this isn't even the first time he nuked someone. And what are you even doing in my shop, you wanna buy something? If not, get the fuck out. You're asking all the wrong questions." I growled, and he put up his hands.

"Sorry I was looking for arrows. Look, I got five diamonds, how many can I get?" He asked, and I left the counter to grab some.

"Here, take a stack of them. I hope that those belonged to Duncan or Sjin." I said, taking the diamonds. Tull grinned.

"You'd be glad to know that they were from Sjin's. I only took five, probably would be going back for more. He won't even notice, he had five chests full of them." He said, leaving with the arrows. I shook my head in exasperation. Stupid Tull.

***

"Hey, where are my rubies? I had ten now I only have three." I heard Rythian call. Uh oh. I turned my head this way and that. He only left my store twenty minutes ago, he wouldn't have gotten far. Goddamn it Tull!

"Keep looking, maybe you left them down in the mine?" I suggested, and Rythian looked at me strangely.

"Would you have any use for Ruby?" He asked, and I shook my head.