Confronting Duncan, Part I

When I awoke, I was alone. It was an odd first thought, but when I first woke up, I was alone. I got up, ate some sandwhiches for breakfast and then went down to the shop. All was calm, strangely calm. I wondered where Tull or Rythian were, before I saw the note on my counter.

"Gone to see Duncan. Don't come here.

-M.T." 

Oh why does Tull always act so cool... But I was intrigued. Why would they go see Duncan? It made no sense. I decided to go back to my store and try to fix it. Duncan's short-lived attack had ruined many of my weapons. I needed to repair and remake plenty of them. Also, it tore a hole in my ceiling and piles of sand are now in my shop. I sighed as I trudged to the store, not looking forward to the work that had been cut out for me.

●○●○●○

We had infiltrated Duncan's castle. Rythian looked angry, but his anger was from a burning desire for revenge. My fury was from regret, from anger towards Duncan, from jealousy. Yes, I was in love with Amelia. As if it was not obvious enough. We snuck into Duncan's bedroom, waiting for him. Rythian looked at me skeptically.

"You sure he'd come?" He asked, and I smirked, knowing that Rythian wouldn't know the first thing about being a thief. Rule number one. Never rob a weapon shop.

Rule number two, always know your target's next step.

"I'm sure." I say, casually rummaging through his chests, taking out some of his personal goods like Portal Guns and a rifle. I glanced at Rythian.

"You need a weapon? Duncan's got three in here." I ask, but Rythian wasn't listening. He had settled himself on Duncan's bed, and was waiting. Just waiting. I knew what he was thinking. Rule number three, always predict their next moves, right down to the thought. I toss him a portal gun. Rule number four, always have a solid escape plan.

"She'd be fine. But you don't want to kill Duncan just yet. Sjin's fury is unimaginable." I said, and Rythian sighed.

"I just want to erase her despair forever, you know what I mean?" He mused, and I knew it was not a question to be answered. I went back to taking his stuff. Just then, I heard footsteps. Stuffing three diamonds into my pocket, I tapped on Rythian's shoulder.

"It's time." Rythian sprang to his feet, alert. He took out his sword, and I stood by his chest. This is not my fight.

"Da- how. Wha." Duncan stood, stunned at the sight. Rythian's eyes glowed a threatening purple. I felt fury rise from the depths of my memories. Duncan attacking Amelia. Amelia falling unconscious. Me beating up Duncan, even though he was already unconscious. I rose, anger already consuming me. Don't let the darkness consume you. A person once told me. But I was unable to recall who it was. I calmed myself.

"Hello Duncan." Said Rythian, sarcastic anger dripping from each syllable. Duncan made to take out his power arm, but in a flash I stood behind him, my cutlass at his back.

"Make one move and... Stab." I said, almost snickering at Duncan's nearly inaudible whimper of fear. Rythian approached him with an easy grace.

"Come. Let us talk." He said, as he took out a small fragment for Duncan to see. A small fragment that came from a bomb that has already exploded. A sort of horrible energy was emitting from this fragment. Nuclear Radiation. I cringed slightly, and Duncan snickered.

"Fine piece of work, ey? I stayed up all night making those." He bragged, and I poked him in the back, threatening him to say more. He turned his head, smirking.

"And my dear girl Amelia who wouldn't let anyone say her last name. Does she even know... What the consequences are? Not using that name... She can never unlock her full potential." He said, and I pressed the knife further in, it nearly tore his coat. Duncan laughed.

"Even if you kill me, I'd respawn again. And again, and again. You can't remove me from this world, Thief. And you too Rythian. You're a liar. You act like you hate Endermen more than anything, but ever since you came to this world, you've been tainted with the color of an Enderman's blood." That was when we both lost it. Rythian ran forwards, his hands finding its way to Duncan's neck, and I raised my cutlass high above my head, ready to strike...

"NO!"