Chapter 1

The rush was stunning. Every single time, without fail, the adrenaline rush that flooded her veins was a shock. It didn't matter what she did to herself—a deep, jagged cut across the thigh, a burn on her stomach, or just a scratch on her wrist—she was overwhelmed by the exaggerated high. Everything would slow down, evaporate, disappear. Any problems she'd had, gone. Any gnawing memories of her mother would instantly dull and settle in the back of her mind.

Teenage girl hates her life and cuts herself. She liked to think that wasn't her definition, that just because she cut herself didn't mean she was a fuck up or that she couldn't be successful. Except that, rather than go to school, she'd run off, blades plucked from her razor in tow. And that she couldn't go a couple hours without splitting some of her skin or watching it bleed. And that, as the days went on, she was beginning to run out of places to cut that weren't already bubbled with scars or tainted with previous marks.

When her dad told her about Tranquil Pines, she'd never felt the urge to cut so strongly. He gave her the pamphlets showing the facility grounds; she read about the treatments for the patients. One-on-one counselling. Group sessions, too. He told her they would be coming to pick her up tomorrow, that he'd already signed the forms and paid the costs and that legally, by state, since she was underage, she had to go. He begged her to go, told her this would be good for her, told her he would visit whenever the facility allowed. She didn't put up a fight—no point. Instead, she calmly went up to her room, locked herself in the attached bathroom, and cut up every inch of her flesh that she could.

She had no intention of stopping. So, all of her skin was cut up and torn to shit. Who cares? The rush was all that mattered. She was addicted. She couldn't live without that rush.

Lucy would go to Tranquil Pines, please her father, go through the program. But she knew it wouldn't be enough to get her to stop. The rush filled the gaps, blurred the memories, and that's all that mattered to her.

She needed it.