Chapter 24

Lucy glanced up, stomach feeling as if it were filled with lead. Rollercoasters loomed above her, twisting and twirling, passengers shouting out in fear; to her left, more atrocious mechanical rides swung and dove, children laughing with glee. To her right, the merry-go-round—the only ride she considered herself willing to test out.

People walked by, cotton candy in hand; children were giggling, balloons knotted around their wrists. On the far side, far out of eyesight from Lucy's current location were games; carnies offered people the chance to take home massive teddy bears and stuffed toys. The place was filled with various delicious aromas—candy apples, cotton candy, mini-donuts, hot dogs, pretzels.

Erza, who was beside Lucy, tensed up. "Donuts," she whispered, voice barely audible over the carnival music.

Lucy sighed, afraid. It had been the boys' idea to come—they'd managed to convince Juvia to take the group after several hours of groveling and begging. It was on the far side of the island, an hour walk or half hour drive away from the hotel; they'd taken a bus to arrive.

Everyone except Lucy seemed absolutely overjoyed.

"There's some rides by the water—they're like water rollercoasters," Gray said, telling Juvia excitedly. "They splash you. That's why I only wore my swim trunks."

Erza narrowed her eyes. "Just another excuse to strip, pervert."

"Lay off," He snarled back, turning his attention to the bright lights of the majestic sight before him.

And, it was majestic. Lucy couldn't lie about that. The lights were beautiful and colorful, and the music was cheerful and happy, but the underlying fear in her gut seemed to tarnish it slightly. Lucy had never been on a rollercoaster before, but she had an inkling she wasn't really the 'coaster type, considering how spinning in a circle for ten seconds was enough to make her throw up.

Natsu made his way over to Lucy, nudging her, grin wide on his face. "Pretty cool, huh?"

Lucy tried to hide her apprehension. "Uh, yeah. Looks amazing."

"So which ride? Ladies choice."

Lucy peered around, biting her lip. Her stomach hurt now, nervous and afraid, scared to even step foot on one of the twisting and spinning rides flying above her. She lifted her finger, pointing to a ride. "That one."

Natsu followed her gaze, then gave her a funny look. His face was mashed up into a frown, dark eyes humorous. "The merry-go-round?"

Lucy shrugged. "Yeah. Why not?"

He crossed his arms. "Luce, there's only little kids on that."

Lucy's brown eyes flickered over to the ride, scanning the passengers. He was right—the thing was filled with children. Not just children, but toddlers. Their parents stood beside the horses, hands on the kids' waists, holding them steady as they slowly went in circles. Lucy knew it was stupid of her to pick that—it gave away her secret.

Lucy blushed, glancing down. "I'm..." She let out a heavy sigh. "It's nothing."

He made a face. "What's wrong?"

"Natsu," Lucy said, frowning at the ground as she spoke, "I'm scared of the rides."

"Oh," He said, pausing between his words. "Well. Merry-go-round it is, then."

Lucy's head snapped up, and she peered at him. "Really?"

"Well, yeah," Natsu said, chuckling. He shrugged. "If you're not scared of that one, we'll go on it. All day if we have to."