Chapter 7: Confused

The rest of the week went calm. Danny was slowly joining daily routine of the Camp.

Each morning he taught Percy Ancient Greek. Thankfully, this guy was catching on pretty fast. For someone with dislexia that's for sure. Then, he did outdoor activities.

Sword fighting? He was damn good. The fact that Danny had a lot of fighting experience, besides training, gave him an advantage. So he beated the shit out of everyone. Also he MIGHT have cheated a bit, but, hey, it's either sand in enemy's face or sword in your gut. Some offered him to fight against Luke, but he just said: "All in due time"

Archery? That's when things went south. Danny and bows are now sworn enemies. Each time he tried everyone hurried to get out of the way the arrow can possibly and impossibly go. It's not like it should bother him, he has a literal 'death glare'. "You sure aren't Appolo's kid," one of the others said and hit the bullseye without even looking.

Spears were better, but still not as good as sword.

Speaking of, Danny started working on his own sword. He kept production process in secret, so it will be a surprise for his enemies. Especially one feature he added.

The senior campers and counselors were watching him, trying to decide who his parent was, but they weren't having an easy time of it. Danny wasn't as hot headed as the Ares kids, or as good at archery as the Apollo kids. Some thought about Hephaestus, since he did well with smithing, some about Athena. Danny was sneaky, creating a theory about him being the son of Hermes. He didn't steal a single thing, though, so this idea wasn't very popular.

As the time went, Percy seemed more gloomy, so Danny decided to talk with him.

"Hey, Percy," he said, with a smile.

"Hey Danny," Percy responded, staring on the fire.

"Waiting, huh?" Danny sat nearby. Percy sighed.

"I start to understand Luke's bitterness. So okay, maybe gods have important things to do. But can't they call once in a while, or thunder, or something? Dionysus can make Diet Coke appear out of thin air. Why couldn't my dad, whoever he is, make a phone appear?"

"Well, I doubt he is the God of phones"

"Why are you so calm? It's not like everything around here is normal," he gestured to the satyr, who was chewing tin can.

"I agree, you don't see things like that daily, but...I have seen too many weird things before to care. As for parents," Danny shrugged, "even if I would never be claimed, it's not the reason not to enjoy my life. I'm sure your father will claim you when the time comes. Alright... I want to teach you something"

Later Danny and Percy were standing in front of each other, swords in their hands. Some curious kids were standing near.

"Okay, Percy. I watched others' training and noticed that this is not what you need"

"What do you mean?"

"Not to offend, but you aren't strong," some snickers in the crowd, "so we will train differently. Loose your elbows so you can better react..."

"Wouldn't it let enemy too close?" Percy asked. Danny grinned.

"That's the point"

He attacked. Of course, Danny was easy on him, but still. He showed Percy thrusts and parries and shield blocks the hard way. With every swipe, Percy got a little more battered. "Keep your guard up, Percy," he'd say, then whap him in the ribs with the flat of his blade. "No, not that far up!" Whap! "Lunge!" Whap! "Now, back!" Whap!

By the time Danny called a break, Percy was soaked in sweat. To everyone's surprise, Phantom took a bottle of cold water and spilled the contents on Percy's head.