Chapter One

It was a typical, Friday evening. The bookstore was closing. I put up the "Closed" sign and grabbed my coat and purse.

"Night, Perry!"

"Night!" My shop manager called. "You aren't staying late, are you?" I asked, mid-step out the door.

"As always." She called, peeping out from behind a bookshelf, smirking.

"Look, I love books too," I started and walked towards her, putting down my coat and purse "But you've got to take a break." I pulled the book she was reading out of her hand, snatched her bookmark, put it in and closed it.

"Hey! I was at a good part!" She yelled playfully and reached to grab it. I held it out of her reach.

"Tisk tisk tisk. Whatcha got here?," I looked at the book in my hand. "The Mortal Instruments, huh? City of Glass, oh this one was my favorite!"

"Okay, now hand it back!"

"You know, you should come with me downtown. Lets go have dinner together, aye?"

"You know I'm not social!"

"Perry..."

"I will if you hand me the book." She sighed, clearly exasperated.

"Deal. I'll be at the door." I sped to my things, picked them up and waited at the door. I've always been a social butterfly. I looked at myself in the glass window in front of the book showcase. I messed with my messy strawberry-blond curls, as if it did anything, and put some mascara and eyeshadow on. Brown eyeshadow looked great against my green eyes. Finally, Perry walked to the door, purse in hand. I saw the corner of her book poking out of it.

"First stop, my house. Second stop, downtown Manhattan." I smiled. We stepped outside and she locked the door. I had started the ignition, she looked at me.

"Why can't we take my car?"

"Because you'll drive to your house and lock me up in a bathroom with crackers just so you don't have to go out. Get in and let me be a best friend for once."

She rolled her eyes and got in.

"Parents are working tonight." I said as we pulled out of the parking lot.

"Alright." She said and stared out the window. She's frustrated and doesn't want to talk. We'll see about that. After a few minutes of silence, I turned on the radio. Perfect. The song "We Will Rock You" came on. Oldies station.

"WE WILL, WE WILL ROCK YOU!" I yelled and turned into my neighborhood sharply. She screeched, but was smiling.

"SING IT WITH MEEE!" I screeched.

"Got blood on your face!" She sang happily.

"Big disgrace!" I smiled.

"WAVIN' YOUR SELF ALL OVER THE PLACE!" We both screamed when we pulled into the driveway. We laughed and hopped out of the car.

"Yah know, we've got some amazing vocal cords."

"You should hear me when I'm NOT screaming." She said as I turned the key in the lock. I whipped my head around.

"You should hear me not singing. I speak horribly." I smirked. She giggled and we walked in. I kicked off my shoes, as she did, and flicked on the lights.

"I'm going to start with your clothes, and then makeup." Perry groaned and followed me to room.

"Alright, Kendall." Perhaps a red dress? It would look good with her long, black hair. Maybe some green eyeshadow would look good with her hazel eyes too. Heels? I'm not sure. I'll just go with what I can. Perr sat down on my bed.

"How long have you had these Mortal Instruments bed sheets?" She asked and glared at my bed.

"Got 'em last week." I replied as I stuck my head into my closet. I grabbed a handful of clothes and threw them towards her.

"Try some on." I said. She nodded and took them into the bathroom. In a few minutes, she came out in black leggings and a long, brown sweater dress.

"Looks nice." She said as she turned on a circle.

"Could use with some jewelry, but yeah. Next!" I said and grabbed some chips from under my bed. I always stashed food in case a zombie apocalypse came. The Walking Dead is the future, you know. I had almost finished my Doritos when she walked out again. She had on my one sleeve red dress. There were little ruffles built into the bottom.

"I think this is my favorite." I smiled. Perry giggled and nodded.

"Agreed."

"Let me get dressed now." I said and shooed her from the bathroom doorway. I grabbed the outfit Perry had first put on and got dressed. When I was done dressing, I put my desk chair in my bathroom in front of the mirror. I grabbed my hairbrush and spoke into it like a microphone.

"Neeext up, Perry Hapaaamm!" I smirked.

She laughed and walked into the bathroom, curtsying at the bathroom doorway. I sat her down in the chair and started messing with her hair, as if I knew what I was doing.

"Lets see... Should I do this?," I held her hair in both hands "Or this?..." And acted like I was doing pigtails.

"Up to you, hairdresser!" She giggled and closed her eyes, waiting for a surprise.

"Gotcha." I said. I grabbed my sparkly silver hair clips. After a massive amount of combing, some dry shampoo and conditioner and some baby oil, I got her hair on top of her head in a bun of dark hair. I pinned it.

"Your masterpiece is served, madam." I smiled and stepped back. She opened her eyes and squealed.

"I love love LOVE it!" She got up and hugged me.

"I'm glad! Now, I just need to dry shampoo and condition real quick." I said.

"Don't forget your hair stuff!" She called as she went to sit on my bed and finish my Doritos.

"Thanks!" I said and started my hair. After a while, we did our makeup, jewelry, and drove downtown. When we got downtown and near the food area, I flashed a smile at Perry and continued driving.

"Where would you like to go?" I asked and checked the time on my phone.

10:27.

"Frasier's Italian Cuisine!" She yelled and wiggled around her seat. I jerked the wheel into a parking spot.

"Cheese and rice, Perr, don't yell while I'm driving!" I moaned and hopped out. She hopped out, grinning as wide as the Cheshire Cat. I grabbed my purse, locked the car and started towards the restaurant. Perry bounded after like she was a puppy, as best as she could at least, seeing she had heels on. On the street over, I thought I saw a person in poor clothing.

Perry frowned. "Good food, not so good area. Watch out for crooks."

We got a table for two and sat down. People were laughing and talking and socializing.

"I've never been here."

"You'll like it." She said. The waiter came over and took our orders.

"Two red wines, a large chicken basil and one chicken Marsala?" The waiter asked, making sure the order was right.

"Yes, please!" Perry said as I nodded.