Chapter 8

We were in my room getting ready for the day. Evie was making some last minute adjustments to her dress; she was going to the future king, after all, might as well look the part.

"This is it huh?"

"Don't be such a downer." Mal said, sounding a bit sad herself, "We'll be legends."

"Is that really what you want?" Evie asked, "I understand wanting to be remembered," Evie paused, "but is this how you want to be remembered?"

Mal didn't respond, simply sat there as Evie continued to check her dress. "If we're being honest here," Evie said, "This isn't how I wanna be remembered."

Mal stepped away from her, "I should get going, Ben wants me to be at the chariot early." She didn't wait for a response as she slammed the door behind her.

"Let's just get this over with," I say, "It's too late to change our minds now anyway."

On that cheery note, let's fast forward to the coronation.

Walking up to the church, I can't help but notice it's beauty; too bad the villains are gonna destroy it, those intricately stained glass windows will probably be shattered and then coated in blood, that is, if the entire place isn't burned to the ground. I meet Jay's eyes as we step inside the oversized doors, the five of us (Carlos, Jay, Evie, and I) follow the crowd up the stairs to the balcony.

I stood between Harley and Jay, Evie and Carlos sat on the opposite side of him. Dude was strapped tightly to Carlos's chest, god his heart's gonna break when they're split up. The choir directly behind us begins to sing and the giant doors open, significantly lighting up the aisle. We bow. My eyes were fixated on Ben as he began to walk across the church, casting a glance at Mal just before stopping in front of FGM.

Jay wraps his arm around my waist, I relax into him. Evie whisper/yells, "I knew it!" People around us shushed her. "Sorry."

Carlos says under his breath, "God Dammit, there goes my last single friends." He looks at Dude, "Forever alone."

"You're not alone, you have Dude," I say.

"Shut up."

"Shhh." the people around us say.

Belle hands the wand to FGM. "Do you solemnly swear to govern the peoples of Auradon with justice and mercy as long as you shall reign?"

"I do solemnly swear," Ben says.

"Then it is my honor and my joy to bless our new king."

Mal shifts her weight, she's about to grab it when Jane beats her to it. Sparks fly from the wand.

"Child, what are you doing?!" FGM asks her daughter.

"If you won't make me beautiful, I'll do it myself! Bibbidi-bobbidi-boo!" Jane yells out. More sparks fly.

Mal snatches the wand from Jane and we run down to join her. Ben says, "Mal, give me the wand."

"Stand back." Mal threatened.

"It's okay." Ben tries to come closer.

Mal yells out, "I said stand back!"

"You really wanna do this?" I saw Mal flinch, we asked her the exact same thing.

"We have no choice, Ben. Our parents-"

"Your parents made their choice! Now you make yours." He said.

Mal whimpers, "I think I want to be good."

"You are good," Ben responds.

"How do you know that?" Mal demands.