Complications

Flippy couldn't believe what he just heard. 

He shook his head. His mind must be playing tricks on him. Surely someone didn't just confess to him. Splendid must be tired. 

"Splendid... When was the last time you slept..?" Flippy asked, feeling his throat strain from the ventilator. Splendid sat on the edge of the bed. "I'll admit I only had a few hours last night.." the hero admitted. 

Flippy sighed softly, feeling the bandages resist. "You should rest... People tend to say random things when sleep deprived," Flippy said. The blue haired man shook his head. "I know what I said and I mean it. I truly like you, Flippy. It took you almost dying... but I can finally face my own feelings towards you." 

Flippy looked down at his hands. He studied the IV tubes; the fluids making the tubes feel ice cold against his skin. He balled up his hands, feeling the needles strain against his skin. "Splendid... Why must you make everything so complicated...?" he mumbled. "You do know what monster I am, right? Why must you insist on making me feel... normal?" 

Splendid placed his hand gently over Flippy's fist. He was careful not to touch the IV tube. "Because I truly believe that you are normal. You have flaws, yes. But every human does. I am not perfect either," he said softly, gently squeezing Flippy's fist. Flippy shook a little. "I am not normal... I am far from it... I am a monster, Splendid. You are a hero. You should hate me, despise me. Why don't you hate me!?" Flippy asked harshly, feeling his eyes sting. 

"Hate me, dammit! Hate me, hate me, hate me! I don't deserve to live! I don't deserve this kindness! I don't deserve this! I don't deserve you!" he nearly screamed, gripping his hair. Flippy's vision blurred. He couldn't tell if it was from the tears or from his emotions. Was this Fliqpy? No... He could still feel every little emotion.

 Splendid watched Flippy's heart monitor increase rapidly. The slow, steady beat was now a rapid, high pitch screech. 

He grabbed Flippy just as he reached to rip out the IV tube that was replenishing his blood. "Flippy! Stop! It's okay!" Splendid gripped Flippy tightly, holding him closely. He could feel Flippy shaking violently. Flippy hiccuped, making no attempt to get away. His hand stayed on the IV tube. 

They stayed this way for a moment. 

"Why...? Why do you like me..?"

Splendid gently ran his hand through the green hair. He smiled softly. "Because that's what my heart says and I follow my heart." 

Flippy's shaking slowed down. His heartbeat was still rapid, but it was slowly declining. He slowly let go of the tube and let his hand fall to his side. "This... won't you regret it?" the green hair boy asked softly. Splendid shook his head. "I will never regret anything about this experience," Splendid said gently, playing with Flippy's hair a little.

He felt Flippy relax a little. "You aren't alone anymore, Flippy. We are in this, together."

Flippy let the tears stream down his face. His heart hurt. His stomach churned, making him feel nauseated. The blood drained from his face. The last time he heard those words was when his Sargent took him in. That was years ago. 

Flippy turned to face Splendid. He wrapped his arms around him tightly, gripping at Splendid's jacket. He soaked the blue haired man's shoulder, hiccuping. Splendid smiled softly, gently running his hand up and down the young man's back. He squeezed back, careful not to hurt the fragile boy. 

Flippy caught his breath after a few minutes of hyperventilating. The nurses had helped him calm, gave him some medicine, and let him relax. They kept him under careful supervision. Splendid stayed next to him, holding onto his hand. Flippy looked over at Splendid. 

"Thank you Splendid..." he said softly, tearing up again.

Splendid stared at the pale faced boy. The way his eyes shined with the tears, the pink flush on his cheeks, the warm smile on his face... It was too much for Splendid's heart. Splendid felt his heart jump.

He leaned in a little. He wasn't an irrational man. He thought things through. 

But this time, he took a chance. 

He leaned in closely and hesitated. 

He closed his eyes and pressed his lips against Flippy's.