OVERTURE

This night would change everything. Sarah watched, heart pounding against her ribcage as her king led the army up over the Broken Shore. There they would engage in a fierce, truly terrifying battle against the myriad of demons. Already advancing, the Legion were eager to bring about the slaughter of Alliance and Horde armies alike.

She glanced towards the ridge above the shore. There, Sylvanas stood her ground, shouting orders to her archers. Their fletched missiles rained down upon the demonic abominations pouring forth from the Tomb of Sargeras. Their numbers, however, were never-ending.

King Varian forged forward. "Victory is ours!" he shouted. "Hold fast! Mekkatorque!"

High Tinker Gelbin Mekkatorque, king of the gnomes raised his goggles and looked down from his ginormous battlesuit. Varian shouted the order. "We finish this now! Call in the gunship!"

"Way ahead of you sir!" the gnome replied while at the same time he raised his weaponised arm and blasted an approaching demon.

"Good one Mek!" Sarah shouted, punching the air. A moment later, she screamed as a swarm of felbats attacked the army. She ducked instinctively. King Varian plunged his sword, Shalamayne, through one of the foul beasts as it dove towards him. He mortally wounded his target; it's wings flapping in the death throes as it hit the ground, innards and blood seeping over the dark, dry, cracked earth. "Genn! Genn!" Varian hollered at the Gilnean monarch, Genn Greymane.

The silver-haired worgen, with fangs bared and claws fully extended, turned to face the king of Stormwind. "My Lord!" he growled in reply.

"Push forward! And get Windrunners's archers to clear the skies!"

A horn then sounded, a forlorn call across the darkened sky. Disbelief crossed Varian's scarred features as he witnessed Sylvannas and her archers retreat. "No..." he breathed. "She wouldn't..."

"No!" Sarah shouted. "How could she?" She felt utter dismay at the Forsaken's betrayal.

Genn joined Varian and growled, outraged at the Horde's deception. "I knew it!" His eyes burned with hatred. "I knew we couldn't trust her."

The Alliance gunship, Skyfire, then arrived overhead to pick up survivors. Genn glanced up as the huge hull cast its shadow over them. "Without the Horde, we'll be overrun! We must retreat!"

Sarah watched with growing horror as the demons continued to advance. ""For God sake! Move your arse!" she screamed at Varian.

"You did not just shout that at the king!" Drew gasped, a wide grin stretching his mouth. Sarah punched him in the arm.

Varian looked up and saw more felguards approaching; their enormous armoured bulk clunking over the ground, swords and cleavers swinging as they decimated more soldiers, body parts sent to the four winds in their wake. The king, despondant, sheathed his sword and ordered everyone to the gunship. As he ascended the rope ladder, a fireball hurtled towards the Skyfire.

"Hard to port!" Genn ordered. The gunship barely evaded the attack and the fireball exploded on the ground below. The blast rocked the gunship causing Varian to almost lose his grip of the ladder. An enormous felreaver rose from the explosion and grabbed the gunship's hull.

Genn, now in his human form reached down to the king, his friend and shouted for Varian to take his hand.

Sarah watched, hand clasped over her mouth, eyes wide. She started to shake her head.

Drew, mimicking the Gilnean accent muttered. "I've got a bad feeling." He yelped once more as Sarah slapped his arm again, her eyes never leaving the scene in front of her.

Varian reached up to Genn. But, instead of accepting his help, he thrust a letter into the Gilnean's hand. "Take this to my son," he said.

Sarah wailed and next dug her fingers into Drew's thigh. "Oh god no! Don't do it Varian."

Drew winced. "Sod Varian! Stop digging your nails in, woman!"

Sarah was glued as Varian leaped from the ladder. With Shalamayne unsheathed once more he ploughed his way through firstly the felreaver that was crippling the Skyfire, then, splitting his blade to reveal Ellemayne he sliced through felguards as he focused on reaching the loathsome creature who had brought all this bloodshed to fruition. Gul'dan.

Sarah's hands shot to her face again, allowing Drew's blood to flow freely through his thigh once more. She peered through her fingers at the king as Drew sighed with relief and slumped back on the couch.

Sarah cried openly as King Varian was brought to his knees by another felguard which attacked him from behind, slicing his back, then impaling him with two spears.

Through tears, Sarah witnessed her king, on his knees in front of the orc warlock, Gul'dan. The warlock grinned. "You will be remembered as the king who sacrificed his life ... for nothing!"

Varian, defiant to the last, took a deep breath. "For the Alliance!" He glared at Gul'dan.

"For the Alliance," Sarah mirrored in a hoarse whisper.

The warlock's twisted features contorted even more as he filled Varian's body with fel energy. Varian screamed as the power engulfed him, his skin ripped, eyes bulged and then his body exploded.

Sarah howled with despair and hit the off button on her laptop. She turned to face Drew who was still slumped against the cushions, massaging his thigh. "That ... was horrible!" She suffered a series of wracking sobs.

Drew's eyes widened. She was utterly obsessed with World of Warcraft. "Jeez, Sarah! Come on, it's just a game! Lighten up!"

"I know!" she sobbed, nodding agreement and trying to laugh at the absurdity of her reaction. "But that was so ... unnecessary!" She then realised she had hurt Drew with her nails and apologised profusely. She reached out and rubbed his thigh. 

He grinned, enjoying the attention; perhaps a little too much. "But," Sarah continued. "... if, somehow, I was to get portalled, or whatever to Azeroth, I would change that storyline completely!

Her bottom lip pouted and Drew yelled again as her nails dug into his thigh once more.

Welcome to my World of Warcraft fantasy.

All comments, advice and suggestions are most welcome. Should you like this chapter, please would you be kind enough to vote?  It would be most appreciated. 

I hope you enjoy this journey :)