Chapter 3!

A couple years have passed. I'm now six years old.

"Hey Agapi! Pay attention!", My father was scolding me again.

For the last two months he's been instructing me on how to use the black energy that vampires can utilize, hell flame. As soon as I was able to generate a weak one, I immediately asked him to teach me.

"I know I've taught you this several times. But you need to perfect it. Visualize. Visualize, visualize visualize!" He screamed. "See with your hands and touch with your voice. Hear with your eyes and speak with your... soul.", he added, in an undecipherable attempt to appear wise.

"Anything you can visualize, you can form. The more clear the image, the stronger the object", he instructed. Reaching out, he created a simple broadsword, several times the size of his own body.

Following routine, I did the same, although I formed two small one-handed blades instead, making one longer then the other. In my previous life I would regularly practice with shorter blades.

Level one, huh?

I could sense the ability level my hell flame was at.

"Come at me.", My father gestured for me to attack.

Dragging my blades behind me, I rushed over towards him, darting back and forth. Raising my right arm, I swung. He blocked. Right. Left. Right. Right. Left. Both. Cross slash. I continually attacked, not letting up.

Snap!

Damn.

My blades both broke by a cross slash being blocked by his large sword.

"You need a clearer image." He said to me, minor disappointment in his voice. My issue wasn't in technique, it was in the durability of my weapon.

"That's enough for today. Your mother wanted us to go hunting."

While vampires in this world need blood to grow more powerful, we otherwise eat the exact same food that humans do, only making our situation more pitiful. This year we've had to begin hunting for food as our debt slowly grew larger and wallet grew smaller.

Walking towards the woods, father began instructing me on how to hunt using my hell flame.

"Form a bow. Using blades is an inconvenient way to hunt."

To me, a bow seemed like a tedious way to hunt.

I've never trained using a bow, and probably don't have the strength to pull the string properly. There has to be better options.

"As long as I can visualize it I can make it, right?" I asked, double checking.

"That's what I've been telling you." He replied, clearly annoyed.

Confirming the abilities of hell flame, I started to slow down and concentrated my focus. Lost within the world of my imagination, I gather up my flame into one hand, creating an object that was rather small.

"What's that?" My father asked, genuinely curious.

"A gun." I said haphazardly, only realizing afterwards that he wouldn't understand the meaning of the word. "A gun is a weapon capable of releasing a small projectile at an unimaginable speed."

He seemed uncertain. Luckily, an opportunity to demonstrate reared its head right before our eyes. In a bush only a few feet away, I was staring straight at a deer that was frozen in its tracks.

"Just watch." I whispered.

Taking aim, I fired.

A loud explosive sound erupted from the weapon.

Immediately the animal collapsed. As my father watched his eyes grew wide, and jaw dropped.

"How does that work?" He asked.

Unable to respond, I grinned at him. The gun made by my hell flame wasn't particularly scientific in nature. It just somewhat mimicked the explosion of gunpowder, and fired a bullet as a result.

Over time, my father's expression relaxed. "Hmm." He was deep in thought.

"Let's head back." He said.

* * * * *

Back at home, I poked my head around the corner and eavesdropped on a conversation between my parents.

"We need to send him to the academy. He has talent well beyond what I had." My father said, begging.

"Absolutely not! It's hard enough to protect him from the humans here as it is! Sending our child off on his own is absolutely not going to happen!" My mother screamed at him.

"He still has five years before he can go! I'll train him to hide the fact his vampirism, and how to disguise his flame as magic. That academy could help him learn how to survive in the human world, and how to fight. Getting a education won't be bad for him!" My father retorted.

"If in five years the academy even accepts him, I'll allow it!" She said, folding her arms and throwing her nose up. She clearly didn't expect any results or progress to be made. After all, the academy only accepts those with talent in magic.

"Good." My father nodded.

How would an academy advance my vampire abilities?

With these thoughts in mind, I heard a noise at the door.

Knock knock knock. I opened it.