Chapter 3: The Necklace

"Not looking so good," he cooed

I spent the next couple of days trying to dream. Almost forcing myself to dream, to see him but I hadn't felt anything. I hadn't dreamt in a few days, all I felt was a black mist covering me the last day or so and it was making me feel like crap. It felt as if their was a barrier preventing  me from dreaming or reaching him. I was dragging myself by the time second period had come around, my legs felt as if they were going to turn into rubber and any slight touch from somebody would probably send me toppling over like a Jenga puzzle with missing blocks. It seemed like eternity before I finally reached my locker, as I fumbled with the lock I managed to open it.

"Woah, Dana you feeling okay?" Melissa said, her eyes looking like they were going to burst out of her head. I pulled open the locker door and took a good look at myself, I had been avoiding my mirror all morning, but the way Melissa looked at me made me worried. My eyes were a grey misty blue, the circles underneath them standing out against my pale skin. I looked horrible, shutting my eyes for just a moment, leaning against the lockers.

I had been feeling horrible for the past couple of days. I couldn't sleep and when I tried I felt like I hadn't slept anything the next morning. I tried to make sense of everything but the only conclusion I had was that I was coming down with some kind of flu, or I was dying. Yet, I'd rather say that it was the first one; dying seemed sort over dramatic, even for me.

"I haven't been able to sleep properly, and then everytime I look at food I feel like I'm going to throw up. Maybe I've got the flu?" I said touching my forehead, but I wasn't sure I believed that. Melissa touched my forehead and shrugged.

"You don't feel hot to me. You're not looking so hot either, might I add." She said touching my chestnut hair, her fingers getting tangled in my curls.

"Ugh, I look like I crawled out of something." I muttered my head feeling like it was going to explode.

"You look like a zombie, go home." Melissa said. I opened one eye and grimaced at her. Go home? I wonder if my mother would even notice that I was sick, she'd probably let me die in my room and I'd be found three weeks later because my body smelt bad. "I can't go home. It's not an option."

Her brow furrowed. "Listen, it's not even close to lunch yet. And you look like you're going to topple over. You're using the lockers to hold yourself up." The look on her face made me realize I was going to win this battle. Mostly because I didn't have the energy to fight with her over it, not to mention if a butterfly landed on my shoulder at this point I'd probably fall over. She stood in front of me her hands on her hips, and she started saying something bitterly.

"...are you trying to get yourself killed..." I started to drown her out, I wasn't about to go home and Melissa wasn't about to make me. I smiled to myself and thought of something so smart it might just work. "...take better care of yourself..." I looked around the hallway and I noticed the one door I had been looking for and it read NURSE. "...do you think it's okay to be walking around looking like you're going to die..."

My hands flew up quickly and she haulted to a stop. "I'll go to the nurse," I muttered pointing my thumb in the direction of the door. "But I am not going home," I added firmly. She muttered something under her breath and closed the locker. "I'm going to the washroom first, and than I am going to the nurse."

She growled. "Fine."

I smiled. "I'll be fine."

Turns out that was the biggest lie ever. Melissa had been right about me not looking so hot, but in the end it was me who took the grand prize for more stubborn idiot. Because, I was sitting at the side of the girls bathroom, slouched to the floor trying to catch my breath. At this point I was seriously wondering If I was going to die, because the feeling that my head was going to explode, not to mention my eyes just wanted to shut and stay closed. My eye lids slid shut, letting them close for a second I leaned my head back against the wall. I could feel the warmth of sleep consuming me, everything would be better if I could just get a good nights rest.