Chapter 6

Ellie realized she had been on the ranch for close to a month and she realized she hadn't seen very much of it. The scenery around her was stunning, but she wanted to see more.

Luke had been out early that morning, so she asked Jim if she could tag along and see the rest of the ranch. Jim chuckled, he explained they couldn't ride it all in one day, but he would be happy to show her around.

They saddled up the horses and headed north. Ellie was in awe with the beauty that she was surrounded by. The wildflowers, the mountains and the colorful skies were something that had to be appreciated in person. Pictures were good, but being there and taking all in was just breathtaking.

Jim was taking great joy in watching Ellie's reactions to the ranch. Jim loved this ranch; it had been in his family for over one hundred years. Being on the back of a horse was the best way to see it. Jim never wanted to take on day on this ranch for granted. It was a gift from God to be surrounded by the beauty here and he knew he never wanted to be anywhere else.

Jim thought back to the day Lizzie died; after all the paperwork was done and arrangements had been made, he saddled up his horse and rode out to the ranch. Luke let him go; he knew that he had to be alone to mourn his loss.

Jim sat out in the south end of the ranch, it had been Lizzie favorite spot, and many a time they had shared a picnic lunch in this very spot. Jim sat there talking to the sky, "Wasn't supposed to be this way, gal. You know, I'm really mad that you left me," Jim started to cry, "I'm so sorry, Lizzie, it's not your fault."

From behind him he heard, "Well, of course it's not," He turned quickly to see Lizzie standing behind him. "This can't be," he cried.

"Why not," Lizzie countered.

Jim rubbed his eyes figuring he was seeing things. There was no doubt it was Lizzie, but she was healthy and smiling. It had been a long time since he had seen her smile. Her skin glowed, it was no longer translucent. She was dress in one of his favorite sundresses and she was no longer skeleton thin.

Lizzie smiled at him, "Jimbo, it's me, we simply couldn't say a proper goodbye in that hospital room. It was cold and sterile and full of bad memories. That was the last place I wanted to say goodbye," she said as she reached out her hand to him. He took her hand and it was warm and the bruises from all the needles were gone. How can this be he thought, had he fallen asleep or off his horse, was he dreaming? If he was he didn't want to wake up.

She squeezed his hand and gently said, "Jimbo, I can't stay".

She reached over and wiped a tear from his face; "Lizzie, don't leave me again; you are my world," he choked on his words.

"I want to stay, but I can't. I meant what I said in the hospital don't you be a monk, you will find yourself a good woman and you will be happy again, I have that on good authority," she said pointing upward.

She leaned in and he kissed her, it was warm and sweet, and then she was gone. Jim never told anyone about this, it was his memory and his alone. He didn't know if it was a dream or if she had really been there, but he had a sense of peace that his girl was well.

"Jim, Jim, hello," Ellie had called him a few times, but he didn't hear her. Finally, he snapped out of it and turned to look at Ellie.

"Where were you," she asked.

"Enjoying a memory, I guess. I use to bring Luke's mother here for picnics," Jim answered.

"Tell me about her," Ellie said.

For the next hour, Jim regaled her with stories about Lizzie. She could see where Luke got some of his qualities from. Jim told the good, the bad and the ugly too; it seems as though he was a bit of handful as a young man, but Lizzie straightened him out.

When they first started dating Jim didn't want to be a one man woman and he gave new meaning to being 'non-committal'. He was running around with a couple of other girls, rather than protesting or crying over the situation she took matters into her own hands. She approached each of the other girls and strongly suggested they stop seeing him. Jim wouldn't find out about this for a couple of years and he never got the whole story, but he had great admiration for his wife. Truth be known, he was probably a little scared of her too.

Ellie asked him if Lizzie had any flaws, Jim laughed, "she had plenty nothing major, but she had one that use to drive me crazy".

Ellie was curious, "What was that"?

"She was the biggest snoop ever, especially at Christmas time"!

Ellie giggled as Jim continued, "I tried everything, from telling her she wasn't setting a good example for Luke, hiding the presents so well, I'd forget where they were and planting false presents".

"Did she ever stop"?

Jim shook his head no and they were interrupted by Luke riding towards them. He seemed to be in a hurry, "What's the matter, Luke" Jim asked.

"Been looking all over the place for you two, next time leave a note," Luke barked.

"Calm down, Luke, Ellie wanted to see the ranch and we were heading out to where you were, but we lost track of time," Jim reasoned.

"Sorry, I just got concerned. Ellie, Pete's dog is in bad shape can you come take a look,"

"What happened was it an accident," Ellie inquired.

"No, he's fifteen years old, not sure but he may have to be put down," Luke sounded sad.

The three of them rode back together so Ellie could evaluate the situation.