Chapter 15

Luke was excited for Ellie to meet Tan and Genny Montgomery because Tan had been his best friend for years. Ellie was nervous as she wanted to make a good impression, but Luke told her there was nothing to be nervous about they would love her as much as he does.

When they arrived much to Ellie's surprise, Genny was in a deep sleep. Tan gathered his wife in his arms and carried her in the house. Ellie was concerned, but Luke told her Genny doesn't fly well so she drinks a special tea to calm her nerves. The thing about the tea was it put her out like a light for a few hours.

While they waited for Genny to wake up Tan, Luke and Jim saddled up the horses and went for a ride. Ellie stayed behind and got some work done which didn't prove to be easy as Coal wandered in and out of her office trying to "help" her with her work. Finally, she got up and hugged the little guy, thanking God that he didn't die at the evil hands for her brother.

As she was playing with Coal, Genny wandered into the barn and introduced herself. Genny liked her immediately especially seeing the special bond they had.

Genny told her all about her twins, how she met Tan and it was love at first site and she also promised to stop trying to fix Luke up now that he had found true love.

Ellie said, "Um, you weren't the one who introduced him and Tammy"?

Genny shook her head, "No, Ma'am, I can say I had nothing to do with that train wreck".

Genny was being nuzzled by Coal and she was happily petting him. Genny remarked on how cute he was and she watched Ellie's face changed. "Do you know what happened last week with my brother"? Genny nodded and rubbed her hand down Ellie's arm, "Tan filled me in and I'm so very sorry that happened to both of you".

Ellie hugged Genny and wiped a tear away, "Maybe I should have taken psychology in college because I will never understand Phillip or what he did".

Genny motioned for them to sit down and she took a deep breath before she started her story. Genny explained that she knew about that kind of crazy in fact, she had married 'it' the first time. Ellie listened intensely as Genny described her first husband and the abuse she suffered at his hands. Genny told her that she doesn't share this story with many people, but what she wanted Ellie to know was in no way, shape or form was she responsible for Phillip's behavior. Genny went onto say that Ellie needed to trust her gut when it came to anything regarding Phillip.

Their conversation was interrupted by the sound of hooves racing towards the barn. Immediately, Ellie was concerned because she knew that Luke would ever race the horses back to the barn. She and Genny ran out of the barn to see Luke dismounting and helping Jim off his horse. Jim had a white shirt on and Ellie saw the blood that had trickled down the sleeve.

Ellie ran to Jim's aid, but he insisted he was fine he had just been grazed. Ellie said to call 911, however, Jim set her straight telling her that IF he went to the hospital they could drive him. Then she asked what happen and the men said it was a stray bullet.

As they got Jim to the house, Ellie examined the wound and determined Jim was right the bullet had just grazed the top of his shoulder. That didn't stop her from telling Jim he was still going to the hospital and Bobbie agreed with her.

Genny was asking Tan if it was intentional. Tan whispered that he thought it was. The question was who and why.

Of course, all that were present there thought of Phillip, but he was back in New York. Ellie didn't trust that and as soon as she was done with Jim she would call her father's clinic. Ellie thought about calling her father directly, but sadly she didn't feel as if she could trust him after all he had already given Phillip one alibi.

Bobbie insisted on taking Jim to the ER herself. Luke was going to go with him, but when he had a chance to speak to Luke he told him if there was someone out to get them then he had to stay there and baton down the hatches.

After Bobbie loaded Jim into the truck they all set down at the kitchen table to try to make sense of it all. Luke had wanted to shield Ellie from this, but she needed to be aware and on alert.

Luke had called the sheriff who was on his way to investigate. Ellie placed a call to New York and got one of her favorite Vet assistants on the phone. She knew she would be honest with her when she asked about Phillip. She told Ellie, that Phillip had been there all day, so that meant someone else was after her family.

"Who do you think would have done something like this", Ellie asked.

Tan shifted in his chair and airing on the side of caution, "It could be someone just doing target practice or hunting out of season. Not too smart on their part, but it's plausible that's all it was".

Luke started, "I suppose it could be that Tan, but we've had fence cut and perhaps it was someone other than Phillip who drugged Coal".

Ellie shook her head and remained firm in her convictions that it was Phillip who poisoned her precious colt.

By the time the sheriff arrived it was getting dark so they couldn't take him to the place of the incident but promised that he would be back in the morning. The sheriff said it might be impossible to track down who did this but he recommended to buy a bunch of trail cams and put them around the property.

Luke walked out the sheriff to fill him in on Phillip and the sheriff agreed to look into Phillip's life.

As the sheriff was leaving Bobbie and Jim were pulling into the driveway. Luke was glad to see him and learned it only took three stitches to fix him up.

When they came into the kitchen, Ellie was fussing over him and she asked him how he was feeling. "Well, they must have loaded me up with some pretty good drugs cause they made me propose to Bobbie".

It took everyone a minute for that sentence to sink in then everyone just rejoiced at the news. Bobbie said, "Hell, if I knew he was going to propose I would have shot at him years ago". Everyone laughed.

Jim said, "Well, you two how about a double wedding".

Luke and Ellie quickly agreed and said that was a fine idea. After the celebrating settled down they started making plans for keeping everyone safe.

KEKafܒy&