Chapter 8

"That fence didn't come down by itself," Jim said as handed Luke a cup of coffee. Luke nodded in agreement. After a couple of minutes Luke said whoever did it had done it had the proper tools.

"Doesn't seem like teenagers who wanted to party would come prepared," Jim reasoned.

"No, probably not teenagers and the herd wasn't anywhere near there so I'm not sure who did it or why."

Luke talked about beefing up patrols for a while and his plans for moving the herd closer to the house. Jim questioned him if he was going overboard here, but Luke simply said he would just feel better if the herd were closer. Jim appreciated Luke's reasoning and told him to go ahead and move the herd.

Ellie entered the kitchen and their conversation was broke off. Luke gave her a good morning hug and she quickly sized saying he looked tired. He shrugged that off saying he was fine. He asked her if she still wanted to go into town.

"Yes, I want to buy a truck so I don't know how long that will take".

Both Luke and Jim said at the same time, "You don't need a truck you have full use of any of the ranch vehicles".

Ellie reasoned that she wanted a specially equipped truck for her vet needs. She also told them she had the money and wanted to buy a new truck that was hers and hers alone.

Besides none of the ranch trucks were very pretty, they were either gray or black. She wanted something with a little panache.

Luke grabbed his hat and said, "Well, come on gal, we need to get you a sparkly truck".

As they drove into town Ellie questioned Luke about the fence, he gave her the details and her first question was had the sheriff been called. Funny, that never even occurred to Luke, but as long as he was in town he would stop in and make a report.

They both grew silent for a while and Luke thought to himself that he was as comfortable with the silence as he was with talking. He really never felt that before with anyone he had dated. He wondered if Ellie felt the same way; every time he looked at her she had a serene smile on her face, she was happy and content.

They entered the car dealership and were immediately swarmed on by salesman. The salesman knew Luke because they had sold them vehicles in the past. The salesman that they always did business with had retired so apparently the Tamblins were free game now.

Ellie took the lead and told the one salesman what she was looking for and every time he spoke he did so directly to Luke. Luke finally said to the salesman that Ellie was buying the truck so he needed to talk to her. The next thing out of his mouth was something Luke couldn't believe he said.

"It comes with a lit vanity mirror"

Ellie tried to keep her from exploding, "Do you want to make a sale, young man," she said through gritted teeth.

"Fer sure," he answered and Ellie thought she was dealing with a Valley Guy. If he had say "like fer sure," she would have been certain.

"Do you have an office," Ellie asked.

The salesman brought them into his office and continued to talk directly to Luke and he tried to get the guy to talk to Ellie by pointing to her over her head. This guy was beyond dense, he thought. Finally, Ellie had had enough and she handed him a piece of paper.

"These are the features I want, the color is on there too and I know it will have to be special ordered so I'm fine with waiting. The price I'm willing to pay is at the bottom."

The salesman's eyes grew to the size of half dollars and he stuttered when he started to talk. "Oh, Miss I'm afraid you just don't understand about finances and how automobiles work; there is no way we can do it for that price".

"Yes, you can it's a fair price and by the way, Sonny it's Doctor not Miss and if you want to stay in this business I would suggest your put your chauvinistic ways aside, get your head out of your ass and learn something about your consumers. Every woman that comes through your doors should be treated with respect and value. You assumed because I have breasts I know nothing about trucks, well buddy let me tell you I change my own oil, transmission fluid and know where the battery is. Now, are you going to make this deal happen"?

"Ah, um no offense, but I can't authorize this price," he answered nervously.

"Well, go find someone who can," Ellie quipped.

The salesman left the office heading towards the general manager's office. Luke had a slight grin on his face, "He might be a while," Luke said plainly.

"Why do you think they won't do that price," Ellie asked.

Luke shook his head, "No, I think he's got to go change his underwear first".

That made Ellie laugh out loud. She wasn't about to be taken advantage of that was one thing her father had taught her. She also knew her way around vehicles because of her father insisting that she know the important things in case she ever got stranded somewhere.

Luke couldn't have been more proud of her; she wasn't going to be pushed around. Another hour later, she walked out of there with the deal she wanted. Luke couldn't wait to tell his Dad that next time they had to buy a truck for the ranch that they should let Ellie do the negotiations.

Luke stopped to get his supplies and then suggested ice cream. Ellie questioned him saying shouldn't they have lunch first, but then she retracted that statement saying there is never a bad time for ice cream.

As they sat in the Ice Cream Parlor they were unaware that someone sinister was watching them; loathing their very existence. Now, was not the time to show themselves, this would take patience and plenty of planning.

Luke and Ellie's ice cream was interrupted by a booming voice, "Hey Luke is it true you got tutti fruity sprinkles on your ice cream"?

It was Luke's old friend Newt Van Duesen and his wife Sallyann. Newt is a card, always quick with a joke and he was quite the prankster too. Luke would have to remember to warn Ellie about that. Once the introductions were made Newt flipped the chair around backwards and asked Ellie if she was exclusive to the Tamblin Ranch.

"Why do you want to know Newt," Luke asked.

"Well, it's the oddest thing, Morty, (my horse) keeps going lame and then the next day he's fine. Jeff Daniels is gone now so we have no vet, hoping we can borrow Ellie,"

Ellie looked to Luke and he shrugged telling her the decision was hers.

"I'll be glad to have a look, Newt; how about tomorrow if you'll give me directions I'll come over".

Luke waved his hand, "I'll drive you because I wouldn't pass up some of Sallyann's chicken pot pie".

Sallyann laughed, "Luke, some things never change and you are so easy".

They finished their ice cream and left. The sinister presence thought they won't be laughing for very long.