Preparation

'Good morning mother' Nelly greeted while she walked into the mini-cinema.
Vera looked stunned after realizing how happy she sounded.
'why do you sound so excited? '
'oh! Father's birthday is tomorrow and I can't wait to meet some old faces'

'oh I see, have you gotten him a present?'

'no, not yet. I'll be heading to the mall to check something' Nelly said excusing herself..

******

'mother, you can't stay here in my house with my wife' Edward barked on the telephone.

'If she wants to stay for some days, it's okay' Vera assured placing her hands and caressing it.

'Okay, I'll let her in by noon'

'I've instructed the catering service and decor to start plans'

Edward just nodded and walked out.

******

'Your father has called me and said I could move in by noon' Lady Maria said snipping her drink and relaxing by the poolside.

******

West-side mall

'Mrs. Edward' someone called from the food section of the mall.
Vera turned around to see who it was.

'It's Rhoda, Rhoda Bennett' a petite black woman said pushing her ponytail back.

'oh my!' Vera exclaimed hugging her tightly.

'How have you been?' she asked while studying Vera closely.

'I've been around. It's you I should be asking that'

'oh, I got an appointment as the special adviser to the secretary of the federation.'

'oh! Congratulations. I came to get what I ordered for Edward's birthday '

'When is that?' Rhoda asked as Vera tookher hand into her bag and brought out an invitation card.

'I'll be honored to have you' Vera said handing the card over.
They both hugged and parted ways.

******

'Grandma is here mom! ' Nora exclaimed as soon as she spotted Maria's convoy.
'Yes, I know. I and your father agreed she stayed for a week'

'okay, if that's fine with you ' Nora said before leaving for the front yard to welcome lady Maria.

'welcome grandma' she greeted.

'yes Nora, where's your mother?'  she asked coldly