Chapter 5 - Do You Have a Bucket List?

Chapter 5
Maddie's POV

"Adopt you?" Brooke's eyebrow raised slowly. Her sharp eyes cut down my pride and I shrank back.

"Brooke, I can explain..." I trailed off, bumping into Abby. Abby sensed my fear and curled her fingers around my arm to assure me I was okay.

"Maybe we should talk in the car." I finished and pulled Brooke into the lobby.

"No. We're gonna talk about it right here, right now." Brooke demanded and I suddenly felt defeated. Tears welled up in my eyes and I cracked. I burst into a flow of tears and clutched myself, trying to contain myself.

"Uncle Kenney is sending me to an orphanage because Kelly's not legally my mother and I leave soon!" I cried as the tears continued to fall down my face. Brooke's face fell and she leaned in and hugged me.

"Maddie it's gonna be ok." She assured me.

"But it's not." I sobbed onto her shoulder.

"Why didn't you tell me sooner?" She let go and led me to the door.

"I would've if I could've! I haven't told Josh yet because I can't find the words but I will soon I promise because I really like him." I followed Brooke to her car, where Kenzie was sitting in the front seat. I quickly moved to the back seat. I crawled inside and waited patiently for Brooke's response, but it didn't come.

"Promise me you'll talk to him?" Brooke spoke finally as we pulled into her driveway.

I nodded slowly and unbuckled my seatbelt. Kenzie sent me a confused look, but I shrugged her off. The say was over and nighttime emerged into the sky.

One day left.

•••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••

"Hey Maddie! Time to wake up!" A cheerful Josh burst into my room with excitement in his eyes. Of course he knew I slept in my silky pajamas Paige got me. Otherwise he wouldn't barge in.

"Oh um hi Josh." I yawned as he took a seat on the bed next to me.

"What's new?" He teased, looking at the ugly picture of me yawning and attempting to fix my major case of bed head.

"Ehh, nothing much..." I guiltily began, wondering what to tell him. "I changed my signature!" I quickly blurted, remembering the new change I made last week.

"Oh really?"

"Yep! Now I sign Maddie Z, and I connect the Z to a tiny top right heart." I explained as he nodded.

"I'll remember that." He winked playfully.

I felt bad for chickening out, I had to tell him!

"I helped Paige make brunch downstairs. It's your favorite of course." He smiled and my heart throbbed in guilt.

"Maddie are you okay? You seem different lately." Josh inquired when I didn't answer.

"Yeah I'm fine, Kenzie mentioned that yesterday. It's so weird with her around after she's been gone so long." I shrugged.

"Well you'll always have me,"

Not for long.

Josh smiled sweetly and I could tell he wanted to kiss me, but it was too early and I was surprised I didn't yell at him for seeing me with my awful bedhead.

"Josh have you ever made a bucket list?" I asked quickly slipping out of my bed.

"Yeah I guess, but it's a little old. Probably from 4th grade lol." He shrugged. I held myself back from scolding him for trying to use the acronym LOL in a sentence.

He pulled out his phone and pulled up a checklist.

"Why do I need this though? Are we gonna complete it?"

I ignored his questions and forced him to turn around and close his eyes. He was about to fight back, but in the end faced the other side of the room. I quickly slid my pajamas off, but of course, left my tank top on. I pulled out some sweatpants and a t-shirt.

"Ok you can look now." I smiled as Josh finally turned around.

I pulled my hair into a high pony and grabbed his phone with a playful smirk dancing on my lips.

Josh- The awesome dude's bucket list

•T-shirt Paint splatter

•Paint slip n slide

•Mudcake War

•Ride Godzilla at 6 Flags over Pittsburgh

•Sneak into a horror film

•Swing on the highset at the neighborhood park

•Walk a crazy distance

Gee Wiz this is an odd bucket list.

"Wait can you explain why I need a bucket list?" Josh raised his eyebrow and I stood up.

"Josh today we live as if the world ends tomorrow."

Which it will for me.

Sorry it took so long to update! I've been so busy..but I'm UPDATING AS MUCH AS POSSIBLE THIS WEEK!!!

Yay!

any predictions on what will happen at the family reunion?😏