Chapter 10 - Sealed Lips

• Dedicated to All of my active readers! :)

A/N: I know these get annoying, but please try to comment throughout the chapter and humor me, or get mad at me your choice lol! Especially because this chapter is short and a cliff hanger!

Chapter 10

Maddie's POV

2 weeks later things started becoming more routine. I'd wake up, ignoring Scarlett's rude remarks, and head to the breakfast hall. Then I'd get myself a blueberry muffin and a water to spill on Scarlett's new shorts for being so rude each morning. Sometimes to avoid getting in trouble, I'll make it look like an accident. You'd think she'd catch on after 13 days. After Scarlett would squeal and complain, I'd go sit with Ash and Annaliese, being of course all smiles. Later on, Ash and I would chill in the teens center, doing homework and junk before our chosen, outside-of-hell-house, activities.

But when I woke up on the last day of my 3rd week at the Hope House, I knew something was wrong. I sat up in my bed with a strange look sprawled oddly onto my face. Clearly, something isn't right here. Annaliese's pillow is sitting perfectly still on her bed, because she hasn't thrown it yet. But Annaliese hasn't thrown it yet, because Scarlett hadn't released a teasing remark about me or her. That's what was wrong! Scarlett was gone!

My gaze darted from her bed to Fawn's, but Fawn was sleeping soundlessly in her top bunk, cocoons of a bed. I looked over to Gabby's bed, holding above Annaliese's, but everybody was here in their beds, except for Scarlett.

Now my curiosity was aroused, her stuff was here, but where was Snarky Scarlett?

Annaliese snickered and then burst out in laughter, "What'd you just call her?" 

"Did I say that all out loud?" My eyes grew wide as I got up and joined Annaliese on her bed.

"You mean, 'Her stuff is here but where is Snarky Scarlett?' Yes!" Annaliese laughed once she was done impersonating me.

"I don't talk like that!" I argued as Gabby sat up from above us.

"She is Sarky Scarlett though!" The little girl giggled, mispronouncing the adjectives falling out of her mouth.

"Stubborn Scarlett." Annaliese sighed.

"Sassy Scarlett." Gabby went on.

"Sullen  Scarlett."

"Stupid Scarlett."

"Surly Scarlett."

"Scary Scarlett."

"Sneaky Scarlett!" I jumped up from the bed and darted out of the room, knowing exactly where to go. 

I tiptoed through the halls, making my way to the front desk, where I had first checked-in here. My eyes dart to the cracked door sitting behind the front desk, and a Snoopy Scarlett crouching in front of it. Her eyes darted to me as I quietly approached. She lifted a finger to her lip, giving me a death glare. Then she yanked me by the shirt, so I was behind her.

"Very well. That would be a wonderful idea. I'll be back at 12." A voice behind the door said as they stood from  a chair.

"Shoot!" Scarlett mumbles frantically as she looks around to see no place to hide. I turn around and see a small gap under the desk, where we'd be hidden by the chair and yanked Scarlett down.

Seconds later, the door slowly opened as Mrs. Johnson ushered a tall lady in a pantsuit out of her office, Ash trailing behind with the lady's briefcase. 

"Here you go ma'am," Ash smiles charmingly as he hands the woman her briefcase. His eyes flickered towards us as he sends me a wink.

Mrs. Johnson went back inside her office as Ash walked somewhere else. Scarlett made a run for it, darting from her place under the desk as I slowly stood up to face Ash in front of me.