Chapter 16 - Neverland

Chapter 16

Maddie's POV

When I was younger, about 5 years old, I saw the flim Peter Pan. I remember watching the screen in awe as the 4 children flew through the bedroom window and soured off to Neverland, the second star to the right. I gasped at every sword fight, every moment of magic, and every time somebody's feet hovered above the ground. I remember hiding my face in my hands, yet peeking through my fingers, when Tiger Lily, the Indian princess, was captured by Captain James Hook.

Every little girl in theatre babbled on about the amazing Wendy and how wonderful she was. They all wished to be just like her. I had smiled to myself, knowing that I was special. I couldn't have cared any less about the snobby, stubborn, bland old Wendy. I wanted to be just like Tinker Bell.

I didn't know why, but I adored her. Maybe it was her sassy attitude, or her ability stump people. My heart would beat rapidly when she flew on the screen, and I couldn't help but grin. When she had been captured, I began to cry. But by the time she had almost died for Peter,  I was in hysterics. Eventually I had calmed down as she got better. 

That afternoon my mother had bought me a Tinker Bell doll, and a pair of fairy wings, so I could parade around the house, flying just like the fairy did. My father would even turn the couches into a fort sometimes, and play Peter Pan with me. I would be Tinker Bell and he would either be Peter or Hook. Baby Kenzie would sit and watch with joy.

Whenever I got in trouble or got upset, I would find my Tinker Bell toy.

I remember squeezing her tightly and holding on as long as possible. My eyes would stay shut, until the warmth of new found hope found it's way to my heart. When I felt better, I would rejoin my family. 

Soon the Tinkerbell toy turned from a re-generator, into a security blanket. I never left home without it. It worried my mother so sometimes it would go missing for a few days. Tink tended to magically reappear when I refused to leave home, and burst into tears.

I remember the night my dad left, I had been tossing and turning during their argument. I reached over for my Tinkerbell, but she was gone. After my father disappeared during the night, I had been sent back to my room, where Tink sat at the edge of the bed waiting for me. I didn't think a doll could absorb so many tears that night, but I had no idea how many more tears would fall in the years to come.

I never told Harry about Tinkerbell. 

She was like my secret safe haven. After long harsh nights of pain, I would snuggle up next to Tinkerbell and whisper everything that happened. It almost seemed like I had a friend for a while.

But when Josh came along, I didn't need her.

I believe that I left the toy at my old house back in January. Or maybe my mom took it with her to remember me.

Tonight was my last night before I left for Augusta. Earlier today Josh tried talking to me and making me feel comfortable, but nothing helped.

-Flashback-

"Maddie, I'm serious." Josh's eyes fluttered with worry as I realized this was our last dinner for 2, together. I leaned back onto the picnic blanket, watching the beautiful hilly view.

"Hello serious, I'm Maddie." I teased, popping a grape in my mouth. The corners of Josh's lips turned upwards into a smirk.

"You're impossible." He leaned over and planted a kiss on my cheek.

"You're adorable too." I beamed, tapping my finger on his nose.

He helped me to my feet and pulled me into a hug so deep that his cologne wafted into my nose sweetly. "Hey Mads," He whispered.

"Yes?"

"First one down the hill wins." He continued to whisper as he pulled away, kissing my forehead and darted off.

I grinned and plopped to the ground and began rolling down the hill after him. Our lines intersected to I fell on top of him, just like the first time we officially met earlier that year. We began laughing hysterically as our faces lay inches apart. "I win." He whispered as his warm breath heated my cold nose for a moment.

I tugged on my fleece as I sat lay on top of the boy. "No you don't."

"Hmmm..." His eyes searched mine carelessly. "How's that?"

"Because you didn't get to do this," I smirked and pressed my mouth against his gently as he kissed back even softer.

If there's one thing I will always miss, it will be Josh.

-End of Flashback-

Tonight I had woken up inside, but kept my eyes closed as I tossed and turned in the guest room bed. My hands naturally felt around for my Tinkerbell.

I felt the familiar grab of her wings and pulled her close, breathing in the sweet scent of the raggy doll. It smelt so new after being away so long. Why was it away though? Wait- why was it here? 

With the speed of my heart increasing my eyes launched open as I realized I was not in Josh's guestroom. My body was tossed aside as the van I discovered I was in, hit a bump. A familiar voice made me freeze cold.

"Hello sweetheart, long time no see?"

"Mom."

A/N: YU DIDNT SEE THAT COMING DID YA?!?!?!?!