Chapter 5

Jay Hutton as my basic inspiration for Bryce. 

After our little heart to heart I didn't know what else to say. Between my realization and her proclamation to "be there" for me, I was left speechless. 

I stuck around after dinner, watching her as she cleaned up the kitchen. While she stood at the sink and washed the dishes I grabbed a rag and started wiping down the floor and cabinets that had been spattered with pasta sauce. She seemed surprised at first but thanked me anyway. If someone had been watching, they'd have been fooled into thinking that we had been familiar for much longer than just a week. It was if we were in tune with each other's movements. Andie would move to the left and I would swiftly move behind her to avoid her feet; she would dry a dish only to have me pluck it from her fingers and put it where it belonged. The both of us worked well together  and in companionable silence, until she started the music on her phone. 

I let loose a chuckle when her dorky Disney music started again. Andie shot me a glare and changed it to some other Pandora station that I'd never heard. Alright, so my girl was funny, enchanting, charismatic, and every other wonderful thing out there, but her taste in music sucked. I made a note that she knew every song though. She either hummed or outright sang every word that passed through the speakers. 

When she spoke, Andie's voice made my heart dance in my chest. When she sang, well, she made me want to put on sound proof ear muffs. I'd never tell her that her singing sounded like a doped up dog howling. It was the way she looked while she did it that held my tongue. The expression of complete happiness, the stoic peace that took over her face, made me want to kiss her senseless.  She couldn't give a rat's ass if there was anyone else around and the fact that she obviously wasn't trying to impress me by any means was attractive. 

I had to err on the side of caution though. I had no idea how to go about the act of wooing a woman. Especially one as unbelievable as Andie. Even the first time I'd lost myself at fifteen, there had been no pleasantries. It was to the point, no misconceptions over affection, no "love." Andie deserved so much more than that. She deserved someone who would worship the ground she walked on, who would open their heart completely to her. I couldn't do that. At least not any time soon. Jason, my only friend, wouldn't know half of the things he did about me if it weren't for the fact that he'd been there.  

I sighed deeply. 

"Hey Bryce, do you have any plans for the rest of the evening?" Andie asked as we finished the last of the dishes. 

I checked the time on my phone. Holy shit, I'd been here for almost two and a half hours. I shrugged at her question.

"I was going to go grocery shopping, but it's kinda late now. I'll probably just head back upstairs."

She looked thoughtful for a moment before her face lit up. The grin that spread across her face had me answering it with my own.  My muscles hurt from smiling so much but that didn't stop me from chuckling deeply. Andie had this devilish look on her face, like she was a child who'd been caught in the act of doing something they weren't supposed to. I already knew that whatever she said, I was 100% on board.

"You are not going back to your apartment. I've decided that we are going shopping. Walmart here we come!" She exclaimed loudly. 

"Oh no, I'm not taking you shopping with me," I told her. 

Her face immediately fell into a pout. Andie crossed her arms, unknowingly pushing her chest up. The once small slip of cleavage she had grew larger and her breasts bulged underneath the surface of her silky blouse. As much as I wanted, I couldn't pull my eyes away from her. The clearing of a throat  broke me from my naughty thoughts. 

Looking up at Andie, I noticed the blush across her cheeks. She refused to make eye contact with me. A feeling of accomplishment overcame me as I smirked. I copied her stance while she stood there embarrassed. Andie glared for a moment before turning on her heel and making her way into her bedroom. 

"We're still going shopping, but I'm not wearing my dress clothes. Apparently it draws the attention of perverts!" She called out. 

I laughed at her expense. As much as she wanted to act like my staring had been uncalled for, I knew she was secretly pleased. I heard her giggling as she dressed. In less than ten minutes she was standing in front of me again. I might not know a lot about women but I was under the impression that they took a lot longer than that to get ready. 

Andie brushed past me to get to the counter and I watched her hips sway gently as she walked. She didn't have an overstated grace about her but it was that natural way in which she held herself that had so captured and held my attention. She reached across the table for her bag before turning back towards me. I averted my gaze to her face but the light pink across her nose told me once again that I'd been  less subtle than I had thought. 

"Alright, my car or yours," she said. Her back was still turned to the counter so I walked slowly over to her. Since that first day when we'd danced so closely, I hadn't been within an arms length away. I was gonna change that. Intimacy was undoubtedly much more complex, but seduction I was familiar with. It wasn't much but I suppose it was a kind of start. 

The smile fell from her face as I got closer and she took a step back with every foot that I gained. Andie's back hit the counter and she turned around to look at it accusingly. Standing just an inch or two away now, I placed both hands on either side of her, leaning my face towards her. She looked up into my eyes. 

In that moment I could sense it, even if she couldn't yet. Andie liked me, was attracted to me at least. She was drawn to me just like I was to her. In her eyes I could see the want, the way she unconsciously leaned in towards me.  Andie wanted to pretend like my gaze had gone unnoticed, she wanted to laugh off the way my eyes took in her figure, but she couldn't pretend that my presence didn't make her feel something. I could see the pulse in her neck, her heart beating so quickly. 

I put my lips closer to her ear and her breathing hitched. Our chests weren't quite touching but every time she breathed in her breasts just barely grazed my abdomen. The touch sent small fireworks down my spine, unlike what I'd ever felt before. 

"Just because you change into a t-shirt and jeans doesn't mean I'll stop staring. We both know you love the attention and it should go without saying that you look good no matter what you're wearing," I whispered, my voice coming out like a low growl. Pulling back from her I allowed my nose to graze her cheek. There was a sharp intake of breath and for a moment I gave myself a moment to look her in the eye. Her lips were parted slightly and I had to bite my own to keep myself from her. 

Chuckling softly, I pushed myself away from the counter and regrettably away from her too. I turned to walk away, but this time I called out for her over my shoulder. It seemed like I had been leaving her behind me since we first met but I was determined to break that cycle. I wasn't leaving without her, not again. 

"You coming Goofy? It was your idea anyway."

Behind me Andie let out an undecipherable stream of nonsense. I can only imagine it was in response to my new nickname for her. As much as she hated it, the name fit her so well. Andie reminded me of the cartoon character I'd named her after. Clumsy, good-natured, all over the place, but also so much more. Maybe, given some time, I'd learn how to show her exactly what I was beginning to feel for her. 

*****

Author's Note:

Hello readers! For the few of you who have started to read my book, I am very sorry for taking so long to update. I am going to try and update more, it's just been difficult with my new position at work.

Thank you for your time and please don't be shy! Let me know what you think so far!

See you soon, KDeBe.