Chapter 3: Drop Zone

It was a dark building in a place of the city, where nobody with clean mind would dare to enter. But one did. He was wearing black clothes, an unusual mask and dark cape. Everyone in that rotten city knew his name. Batman, The Dark Knight, etc. Why was he here? Well, he found one person, who can give a clue about mysterious figure Phantom was. After all, who can know about ghosts more than ghost?

Unnoticed, Batman leaped inside the window. Nothing to lighten the room, only darkness was present. Suddenly, something hit the Dark Knight in the back, sending him flying forward. The figure appeared where Batman just stood. He was wearing a white suit and pipe hat. The most interesting part was that his head was absent and only monocle was floating in the air, just like hat. Gentleman Ghost was his name.

"Ah, Batman, I'm so honored," he said in thick British accent. The ghost took out twin pistols and started to shoot.

Banging sounds filled the air as Batman avoided gun shots. He ducked, rolling to the side. Batman grabbed the nearest dusted table and threw it in the air. It protected him from bullets, and when the table fell on the floor, the Dark Knight was gone. Gentleman started to look around, searching for an invisible enemy. Ironical, since it's usually him, who dissappeares without a trace.

Batman didn't make him wait for too long. A powerful kick was delivered right into ghost's face, pushing him on the ground.

"Why are you here anyway?" Gentleman got up, "I don't recall stealing anything as of late," he took his cane and purple fire erupted from it. Batman threw a batarang, which caused a mini explosion. The ghost tried to get up again, but was stopped by the Dark Knight's boot on his chest. Gentleman could just phase through, but he was genuinely curious now. Escape could wait a little. Batman took out a photo.

"Do you know anything about him?" The photo had shown Phantom, fighting with Mr. Twister. Batman used cameras recordings to make a picture. He couldn't see his face, but Batman supposed it was one of the shock.

"H-how did he get here? I'm not returning to that stinking place!"

"So you know him?" The ghost snorted.

"Easier to find a ghost who DOESN'T. That's Phantom, but you should already know, being 'The world's greatest detective'. Young lad, seventeen, actually. Real name is Fenton. You can guess that he is not around here..."

"Explain"

"I'm not going to start an explanation how universe works. The only thing is that he is from another HUMAN dimension. If not for the fact that every peasant there knows how to deal with ghosts, I would move there, since there wasn't any heroes"

"And Phantom?"

"Oh, he used to be. It had something to do with what he is. Such a power he has, and he used it to protect that idiots. Foolish halfling"

"Halfling?"

"Yes, the kid is half ghost. How the hell he is still half alive is beyond me"

"How powerful is he?"

"Boy Scout will have a hard time against him," Gentleman shrugged, referring to Superman, "Phantom took down Pariah, after all. That man could snap all of you like toothpicks"

"Why did he stop being a hero?"

"I don't know exactly, maybe because of the death of his family. From what I heard, the one who killed them was a very creepy bloke, that's all I know. Now, if you don't mind, I need to stay low and hope Phantom doesn't find me to throw into prison"

With that the ghost teleported who knows where. This dissapearing acts seriously start to annoy Batman.

-Later-