Chapter 8: A Guide to Pragmatic Heroism

A.N. That's what a lack of focus does to your stories, they don't update for years. Still, I hope that the readers aren't dead and that someone gets to read what I had been remaking a hundred of times.

"And this, ladies and gentlemen, is what I believe to be the path to a brighter future for all of us."

The Justice League was watching the news report that had caused quite a stir among the general public. The man on the news, an extremely young researcher with messy raven hair and ice blue eyes was passionately telling about his discoveries to a large audience. The university this speech and lecture took place in had graciously provided the guest with a podium. He kept telling about how different planes of existence interacted with each other, and it was somewhat ironic how apathetic people were to this particular part. True, with the amount of different heroes, villains and everything in between there were those who confirmed the existence of said worlds, nothing surprising there. But the passion didn't leave the man's voice, as he demonstrated the true intention of his lecture. The small device that all this time had been powering the whole building. It stunned the audience and some wished to confirm it, sending someone to look at the electric booths. The smile didn't leave the man's face as he watched several people leave.

"Emphasis on 'brighter'," the lecturer chuckled. "This element from another world is a self sufficient battery. The energy it emanates is enough for a lot, as you can see. Without waste, without gigantic reactors. And I see that tomorrow these things power city blocks, the next month, the state, and in the end — the whole world. Now, let us wait for confirmation and I shall answer all the questions that you have."

The footage was paused by Batman, who had an ever-present scowl on his face. Every member of the League waited for him to explain the urgency.

"Some of us can recognise the face from that memory trip we have gone through some time ago. This is evidently the public persona of Phantom."

"And...you brought us here so we all learn that?" Flash scratched his temple.

"No. We are faced with the fact that he brought a technology from another world here. The one that will most likely see a wide use."

"Isn't that good, though? The guy shares the thing that will save humanity from tons of problems."

"And create some new ones," Wonder Woman responded, "Something this powerful won't escape the attention of our foes. And if they get their hands on it..."

"He...should have warned us, I think," Green Arrow complained.

"Phantom is a wild card. Unpredictable and dangerous," Batman cut everyone off, "We do not know his true intentions, nor his plans. It is highly possible that this new source of power has a feature that will benefit his unknown goals."

"Apart from making his human disguise hellishly rich and his kid well-fed?" Flash snorted, not noticing Superman's face twitching a little. Each reminder of clones of any kind was now a problem.

"What do you suggest, Batman?" The Man of Steel asked.

"We must monitor his every activity in this field. He has proven himself to be extremely difficult to convince sometimes. He was already contacted by me."

"Yeah," Green Arrow chuckled, "And he basically told Bats to leave him alone."

"Such an impudent child," mumbled Wonder Woman.

"I actually sugarcoated what was actually said."

"Remind me, why are we keeping that kid around?"

"Because," Batman interjected, "He knows all our identities."

He didn't care if the question was rhetorical. Everyone needed a reminder. The caped crusader continued.