Part 11: Goodbye

[HEY. So um, after part 6 I kinda posted the wrong parts... so erm, start reading from part 6 again for a clearer story! Sorry! >< xx]

Nathan had gone public with our relationship, even sharing our story with Shadow, making the crowds of fans go "Awww".

He had asked me to follow them on their American tour, but I told him that I wanted be with Shadow as much as I could in his remaining time, and Nathan understood that. So we Skyped whenever possible; even Shadow would be in the video calls.

"You think I can make it home before he... Leaves?" Nathan asked when I told him I had brought Shadow back to the vet and was informed that his time was really limited.

"I hope so," I sighed.

"D'aw, baby. When I see you like that I just wanna hug you."

"Damn the distance," I joked. I always tried too much to lighten the mood for myself.

"But hey, I'll be back soon."

"Sykes. SHUT. UP!" I heard Jay's sleepy voice from the distance.

"What time is it there?" I laughed.

"Er, 20 past 2?"

"In the morning?! Bloody hell, get to sleep, you!" I said.

"Alright. I love you."

"I love you too, Nathan." I said and he was gone. I turned to Shadow who was already on my bed.

"Hey, little fella. Yeah, ol' buddy, remember when I called you that?" I said, hoping Gen didn't have her ear pressed to the door or wall between our rooms. "I've gained so much thanks to you. Gone through so many adventures with you. You were extremely loyal from the day I rescued you." I started to tear up as he yelped, as if he was crying too.

"I'm gonna miss you, boy." I said and kissed his little dog head. "Thank you."

"He's here, ain'he?" I smiled at myself when I woke up to see Shadow barking by the window. Then he ran out my room, down the stairs.

"Shadow!" I heard Nathan who had a spare key to my flat.

-Nathan's POV-

"I'm glad you hadn't left without me saying my goodbyes."

I was sat on the floor of Eleanor and Gen's living room with old Shadow. Eleanor told me she had said her goodbyes to him, and I thought it was only fair if I did, too. Even though I didn't have many memories with him.

"So," I began. "I don't really know what to say, since we aren't too close. But you've led me to an amazing girl. For years I had been mustering up the courage to talk to Elle. And then I saw you run up to me with her chasing after you. I was so nervous it was ridiculous." I chuckled, remembering how I felt when I first spoke to the girl I had fallen in love with while watching from quite a creeper distance.

"And you led me back to her all these years down the road. If it wasn't for you, I think I'd be very much alone." I said and looked Shadow in the eyes. "Thank you, Shadow."

"Hey babe," I heard Eleanor from behind me. She was wearing one of my sweatshirts with shorts under them and her hair in a messy ponytail.

"I missed you," I said walking up and kissed her.

"I know it's a little unfair, but I heard what you said to Shadow. You had a crush on me before we even had a proper conversation?"

"Well, don't judge me," I smiled. "You were beautiful. And not a girly-girl. It was quite appealing, if you asked me." She really was. One of the cutest girls in our neighborhood, but also one of the toughest people there. It was really admireable. 

"Oh, Shadow," Eleanor said walking to her best friend and getting down beside him, just as Gen walked down the stairs. Shadow wouldn't stop making helpless yelping noises.

"Babe," I said sitting beside her with Gen on her other side. She had Shadow curled in her arms in a tight embrace as tears rolled down her cheeks from her precious eyes.

We stayed there for about an hour until she suddenly looked up. Shadow had stopped moving. He'd stopped breathing. He was gone and it broke my heart to see Eleanor in the state she was.

Genevieve's dad had apparently bought a cemetery lot for little Shadow and Eleanor was happy about it; that she could still come visit her best friend.

"It's okay, love." I said, even though it was probably of no use.

"I know it will be. Nothing lasts forever," she repeated herself. Everything was going to be fine as long as we had each other. I knew she knew that too.

"And hey, I have you now, don't I?" She smiled.

"Yeah, but I'm not gonna go 'fetch'  a stick for you," I said making her laugh.

"I love you," I said, looking down at her.

"I love you, too." This must be so awkward for Gen.