It has arrived.

The morning came early; the sun had pulled itself over the horizon and stretched its rays right into my bedroom to greet me. However, I was already awake, anxiety rooted in my stomach as the day I had long been waiting for was finally here. Lucy's first day of school. 

The morning also came slowly; toasting bread and slicing fruit, ironing her clothes for the third time, checking to make sure her lunch was in her bag, it all felt like slow motion. This day had finally come. 

Waking her up was the most painful part. Creaking open her door I could see her buried under her fluffy blankets and pillows, the memories of a once circus-themed room now fading away. Her personality had finally taken over her room. Blonde hair almost hides her completely but soon, after a little coaxing, vibrant green eyes appeared. Then her little goofy smile, accompanied by a few missing teeth. 

"Mummy, I dreamt of a kingdom in the clouds that were ruled by a vampire prince!" Lucy giggled as she pushed her hair out of her face, she was always the happiest after waking. 

"In the clouds, ya say?" I smiled as I laid out her clothes and handed her the hairbrush, she was big into brushing her own hair. 

"Yup," She began combing, "Even the food was clouds."

"Sounds horrid," Laughing, I helped her dress. Lucy was very excited to wear her Sarah & Duck hoodie over her black and gray plaid uniform. September here was rather chilly.  This half of the morning went incredibly fast. Watching her brush her teeth, eat her breakfast, and pose for first-day-of-school pictures felt as if it was on fast forward. And, before I even blinked, we had arrived at her school. 

Knightington Private Primary School, gothic and brick, we had both fallen in love with this school when it was time to tour the surrounding schools. Though it was a little pricey and a bit further of a drive, Lucy was in good hands here. That didn't stop my tears. 

"Mummy," A whisper came from the back seat, quickly wiping the tears away I turned around. Lucy's eyes were watery. "what if the other kids don't like me?" Her voice was so quiet I could barely hear her.  

Tears spilled down my cheeks as I watched my daughter turn from her normally bubbly self into a scared little girl, "Why wouldn't they like you?" She half-heartedly shrugged her shoulders. "Yer Lucy freaking Quinzel, they'd have to be insane not to like you! And I would know, I use to know the crazies." I stuck my tongue out at her. 

After a few giggles, we walked to her first-period class together and met her teacher; Mrs. Abram. A chubby woman was rosy cheeks and tight curls, she was eager to meet the only six-year-old in her year-one class. Her classroom, which was decorated to look like a garden, smelt like gardenias and coffee. 

Once at her seat, which was decorated with a little goodie bag and a custom flower-themed name tag, Mrs. Abram excused herself to greet another student. Due to Lucy testing higher than anticipated, she was able to start year-one while her friends from daycare started kindergarten. It was easy to tell she was nervous about making friends. 

"Hey ya gal," Smiling at her, I crouched down to be face to face with her. "Why not go introduce yer self to those kids?"

Her green eyes slowly drifted to the other side of the room where two kids sat, a boy and girl, she shook her head. After a little more coaxing, she begrudgingly went over and introduced herself. Before sneaking off, I took one last look at her sitting with the other kids laughing and my heart fluttered. 

Mossy-Oak Mental Health Hospital, thirty minutes away, is where I begin my workday. Between paperwork, client rounds, and consultant sessions my mind was focused on Lucy. Hoping her day was going well, wondering if the other children were being nice to her, and trying to remember if I pack her ranch for her cucumber sticks. 

A client of mine, Mrs. Koffle, visited me during my lunch break and asked about Lucy. This small Russian woman was one of my first clients, when I still worked at the senior home, had kept in touch with me even after our time together ended. 

"Must be eager to pick her up," She teased, her wrinkled smile spread across her face. "I remember when Alexei first started." 

Nodding, "It was a hard morning," I admitted and offered her a piece of chocolate. 

She shook her head no politely, "It gets easier dear, especially after you see how excited she becomes." 

We sat a moment in silence, her looking over a few photos of Lucy on my desk while I finished the last few pieces of chocolate I had. I had become more and more comfortable around this woman, whose odd mannerisms reminded me of New York. Brooklyn, how I miss the deep-fried cheeseburgers and coney dogs. Or, the Saint Patrick's day parade and the pickle spears. One day, when Lucy is older, I'll take her there and show her everything I miss.

"Oh!" Mrs. Koffle sat up, "Before I forget, I received an odd message the other day."

"And?" 

"It was a call, I thought it was my friend Carolyn from the states but," The Russian woman waved her hand dismissing the idea. "Anyways, it was a nice man who asked about, what was it?" She squinted her eyes in thought.

Not being able to help it, I laughed quietly to myself. 

"Oh! Forgive me," She pointed to her head, "It's a steel trap I just gotta search for it. The man had the wrong number but had asked for a clown. Told him I didn't know anything about any clowns." Shrugging, she added, "But he did tell me to keep an eye out for one." 

"I'm sorry, a what?"