Chapter 4

Chapter 4:

I am so overjoyed at reading this letter I have to read the next one. I look for the next one on the table and open it frantically and read.

Dear Katniss,

Is everything okay? I'm getting kind of worried that you're not writing me back. I would be devastated if something happened to you. Well I'm coming home in a week and I can't wait to be back! I'm even excited to see Haymitch (I'd never thought that would happen). I'm just so happy to be returning. I hope that of your getting these, we can still be friends when I get back

Xoxo, Peeta

This letter was sent four days ago. So Peeta is coming home in less than a week, maybe even four days! I can't even hold in my excitement. I don't really know what I'm going to to say to Peeta though. Hey Peeta, I just started reading your letters a few days ago. I didn't even know you wrote to me. But welcome home. I'm scared he'll be angry with me. I know he probably won't, but it makes me mad with myself that I could be so selfish.

The phone rings which brings me back to my senses. Who could be calling me. I never get calls from anyone. Then I think maybe it's Peeta. I get really excited and rush over to the phone.

"Hello?" I ask overly excited.

"Hey Catnip." My smile immediately fades when I realize it's Gale.

"Oh. Hi Gale." I try to say enthusiastically.

"How've you been?" He asks.

"Good. Peeta's still in the Capitol, he's coming home next week." I say smiling at the last part.

"Oh you're still with him?" He says kind of disappointed.

"Well not really, I'm just excited for him to be back." I say.

"Really Katniss? after everything he's done to you? He almost killed you! And your excited for him to come home?" He shouts.

"Yes, Gale I am! I don't care if you think it's unsafe, because I think it's fine!" I yell back at him.

"Fine Katniss, do whatever you want but when you get severely hurt or even killed for that matter, don't come crying to me for help." He says.

And with that, he hangs up. I can't believe what Gale has become. I don't know if it's pure anger and jealousy, or frustration out of me getting hurt. Whatever it is I don't like it because he's a total jerk now. I am so upset I sink to the floor and start bawling. I can't take it anymore! I need Peeta to come home! I need him! I can't do this anymore with out him. I need to know when he'll be back. I force myself up and go read another letter.