Chapter 17

"Coming!" I screamed, trying to top the sound of the pouring rain.

It was Sunday and my day off from work. It had been about a week since Malcolm's arrest and the weather was living proof that hurricane Olivia was near.

The knocking became more persistent, and as I neared the door I could hear a familiar voice calling, "Anna!"

I quickly got to the door and yanked it open. Erika was standing on the other side, her clothes soaked with rain.

She stepped in and I quickly locked the door behind her.

"Never trust the weather," she said. "When I left my house less than an hour ago, it was all bright and sunny and now I'm soaked walking from my car in your driveway to your doorstep."

"Why didn't you call me so I could bring you an umbrella?" I asked her.

"The thought didn't cross my mind. I'm going to go change and get my clothes dry."

I nodded and headed to the kitchen to make some hot chocolate.

By the time Erika returned downstairs wearing one of my shorts and T-shirt, I was sitting in front of the television watching TV.

"So how's everything?" She asked as she dropped herself beside me and picked up one of the two mugs I'd placed on the coffee table.

I exhaled loudly, then said slowly, "where do I even start?"

She laughed. "That bad?"

"Worse. So I was in jail last week."

"Yeah, right," she said with a scoff, then laughed.

"No kidding," I said seriously. "Wait until you hear the rest of it."

She listened in surprise as I told her all about what happened with Malcolm and the necklace.

"This is serious," she said, concerned, when I was finished. "Malcolm could be very dangerous. How long are they keeping him for?"

"I'm not sure. I'll ask detective Sterling when I see him again, but I don't think they  can keep him for very long. It's not that big a crime that he committed, with the necklace I mean. They couldn't charge him for the stalking part because I could not prove it. He may already be out of jail now."

"That's crazy," she said. "What if he comes after you or something for getting him arrested in the first place?"

"I don't think it's that bad," I said with a smile. "I bet the officers looked into his past and stuff. If he were that dangerous I think detective Sterling would've warned me."

"Speaking of which," Erika said, "wasn't Malcolm here with Monique's family? How come he's still here? I never saw him around here before the party."

"He was probably always around and you just never noticed him because you didn't know him."

"Still," she said, "he seems dangerous. You should get a restraining order or something."

"I should," I agreed. "I'll talk to detective Sterling about it when I see him next, or maybe I'll go down to the station."

The conversation went on for a while, until I got up to start dinner. After setting some peas on to boil and cutting, cleaning, and seasoning some chicken, I returned to the living room to find Erika flipping through a magazine. By then the rain had subsided to a light drizzle.

"Since when do we wear this crap?" She asked as I sat down.

I looked at the page she was looking at. It held a picture of a model wearing a simple top and white pants that could hold the entire population.

I laughed. "Since some designer went through a crazy moment," I responded. "Besides, people will wear anything, so long as it's in."

Before Erika could respond, there was a knock on the door.

"Who could that be?" I wondered, getting up. "Who is it?" I called as I neared the front door.

"Detective Sterling."

I paused in front of the door, a bit startled, then unlocked it and pulled it open. Detective Sterling was there wearing jeans and a buttoned shirt and holding a large tutti frutti cup and a wrapped spoon.

"So I was in the area and decided to stop by and check up on you," he said. "Malcolm is out of jail. Have you seen him around here lately?"

"No," I said. "When did he get out?"

"About four days ago. We're keeping an eye on him, though, so you don't need to worry."

"Okay. Would you like to come in?" I asked, stepping aside so he could enter.

"Actually, I have to run. I got you some yogurt," he handed me the cup and spoon. "It's packed with poisons just the way you like it."

I eyed the cup suspiciously. "Why are you being nice?"

"Am I not always nice?"

"No."

He laughed. "I guarantee you there is nothing deadly in there, nothing that will kill you anytime soon, anyways."

I slowly took the spoon and the cup, then opened the cup and looked inside. The yogurt– strawberry, it looked like– was a bit molten, but was filled with a variety of toppings.

I returned the lid. "Thanks."

"No prob. Have a nice day."

I nodded and he turned and headed down the driveway and towards his car, which was parked to the side of the road.

I closed the door and headed back over to the sofa.

"I wish I had a gorgeous detective to check up on me and bring me yogurt," she said teasingly.

I rolled my eyes and dropped myself onto the sofa.

"Honestly," she continued, "even through his shirt, his torso has more definition than my life."

"Will you stop?" I unwrapped the spoon, then opened the cup and took a bite. "Want some?" I asked, offering the cup.

"Do you even have to ask?" She took the cup started eating. "So," she said between bites. "How come you didn't ask about the restraining order?"

"He said they're keeping an eye on him. I think I'm fine for now."

She laughed, and I stared at her, confused.

"You know who I think is fine?" She asked.

I rolled my eyes. "Shut up."

________________________________________________________________________

A/N:

I know I haven't updated in a few decades but I've been very busy. I'll try to update more often.

I hope you enjoyed the chap. Let me know what you think.

Please:
Vote
Comment
Add
Share
Follow

★It's Carmen. Love y'all!★