Chapter 27

"Stay behind me," detective Sterling commanded. To my surprise, he yanked up the leg of his pants and pulled a black handgun from the side of his shoe.

Without saying a word, I followed close behind him as, gun raised, he walked around the house, checking everything an everywhere.

My anxiety peaked whenever we approached a door, and when we approached my bedroom, I moved closer to detective Sterling; so close that if he halted for a split second, I would've collided into him. When we stepped inside, I flicked on the light switch and was subconsciously expecting to see Malcolm sitting on my bed.

A part of me hoped he was. Nothing would make me feel better than to see detective Sterling put a bullet through his cranium.

Fortunately,– or unfortunately – there was no one there. We checked inside the closet and, at my persistent request, under the furniture and behind the curtains. We didn't find anything out of the ordinary.

"Whoever left the paper is long gone," detective Sterling said, lowering the gun.

I was still a bit antsy. "I guess."

We went back downstairs and I got myself a glass of water from the kitchen. When I returned to the living room, detective Sterling was leaning against the back of the coach, talking on the phone.

I took a seat on the recliner and downed the glass of water, then placed the glass on the coffee table.

"I have to leave," detective Steeling said, hanging up the phone, "but Barnes called and said he just pulled into your driveway."

Officer Barnes was the person assigned to watch my house at nights after detective Sterling left.

"You're leaving already?" I was a bit disappointed. I really wasn't looking forward to staying in the house alone, not after what had just happened.

"Yeah, I'm needed at the station. I think we might have a new lead. Are you going to be okay? I'm sure whoever was in here is nowhere close by by now. I'll check out the area outside and see if I can find anything. Try to touch as little as possible, okay? I'll have a team come and check out the place tomorrow."

"Okay."

"Are you going to be okay?" He asked again.

"Yeah, of course," I lied, awkwardly scratching the back of my neck.

"Great, then I'll see you tomorrow." With that, he turned and headed out the door.

After checking to make sure officer Barnes was in the parking lot, I locked the door behind him and turned to face the house.

There is no one in here, I told myself. There probably wasn't anyone here in the first place.

I took a deep, calming breath, then started heading upstairs to take a shower and go to bed.

It took me less than twenty minutes to shower and brush my teeth. When I got back to my room, I checked everywhere again before moisturizing my skin, pulling on my PJs, and climbing into bed.

It took me a while– roughly an hour– to finally fall asleep, due to how edgy a was. If I thought I heard a hint of a sound anywhere, I would get up and go check it out.

When I finally drifted off to sleep, I found myself in a dreadful nightmare where I was running barefooted through a dark orchard, hyperventilating and constantly glancing over my shoulders. I could see Malcolm running close behind me, a cocky grin on his face.

I was startled, but grateful, when I was abruptly pulled out of sleep by the sound of my ringtone. Still half asleep, I reached over and felt the surface of the night table until I found my phone.

"Hello?" I said sleepily.

"Mrs. Saunders?" Came detective Sterling's voice.

"Yeah?"

"What time do you have to get to work today?"

I was a bit taken aback by the question. "Eight-thirty. Why?"

"Great. Get ready for work. I'll be there to pick you up in about an hour."

"What?" I said, confused. I glanced at the curtains to confirm that it was still dark outside. "What time is it?"

"A few minutes past five. I just got a new lead. I'll tell you about it in the car...unless you don't want to come."

"Yeah, I'll be ready in an hour."

"Okay."

When he hung up, I tossed the covers and climbed out of bed. I was curious to know what detective Sterling had found out.

I quickly tidied the house then went to the kitchen to get something to eat. After a bowl of cereal and a cup of instant cocoa,  I went upstairs to start getting ready.

I was in front of the mirror putting the last elastic band over my high bun when there was a knock on my door.

"Coming!" I called.

I grabbed my purse and stuffed my keys and phone inside, then picked up a pair of grey flats and headed for the door. When I got there, I pulled on the shoes and opened the door.

Detective Sterling was casually dressed in radiant white jeans and a light-pink buttoned shirt. The two blended so perfectly, he almost looked angelic.

"Good morning," he said, then started towards his car. "We have to hurry."

"Good morning." I followed his quick steps to the car and sat in the passenger seat.

Despite it being past six o' clock, it was fairly dark outside. The sky was blanketed with grey clouds, the rising sun barely visible.

Detective Sterling got into the drivers side, and when he hurriedly pulled onto the road, I asked, "Where are we going?"

"Remember that man we questioned yesterday? Andray?"

"Yeah?"

"A resident in the area notified an officer who notified me that he had a visitor some time ago."

"So..." I prompted.

"So that visitor was Malcolm."

"What?" I said, shocked. "Did he hurt anyone? How did he find them?"

"He's not going to hurt them," he said calmly.

"How do you know?"

"I know."

"Then why are we going there? To question him?"

"Initially, yes. But while you were inside, I got a call from the officer. Malcolm still hasn't left the house."

I gasped.

He floored the accelerator.

________________________________________________________________________

A/N:

Thanks for reading. Hope you enjoyed this chap. Let me know what you think.

Please:
Vote
Comment
Add
Share
Follow

★It's Carmen. Love y'all!★