Chapter 13

For Dreabee

Scott and I were married in secret. We were happy. He still hadn't touched me though. He wanted it to be special. We didn't get the chance though. Someone had found out about us together. His father had wanted me killed. I was a slave. That wasn't good for a family. For Scott and I's family.

They were chasing Scott and me through the woods, our path only being lit by moonlight. I screamed out in pain when a root caught my foot and my ankle twisted. Scott tried to pick me up but I told him to run. I'd only slow him down. He ran from me with a hesitant stride. That's when the people chasing us closed in on me. Instead of killing me, they took advantage of my weakness. They unclothed me and....

"No!" I sat up in Scott's bed, bringing my knees to my chest. That's the third time I've had that dream since Scott admitted he had feelings for me. I began crying. I hated that dream. It was slowly breaking my sanity and I don't know how much longer I could take this. All because this damn fever.

And because Scott won't speak to me. He just keeps blushing every time he looks at me. It's been a week since I've had this fever and half of my dreams were the one I just had or one were Scott and I were together. Like together, together. And he's always so gentle towards me. The act always started with him checking my back before I felt his lips against the cuts. Then he would say the same thing he did that day but it was different.

I don't care if you are contagious, I'd kiss you even if you were dead.

At the height of the dream was when I would wake up. But even if my eyes were open, I could feel his ghostly dream hands running across my chest. Or my back arching and our warm skin meeting in the middle. I was always left with the fact that I fantasied about my master and the way I wished he would touch me. Touch me like a normal human being. Like his equal.

"Mitch?" Instead of who was really probably standing there, I saw my mother. Her wrists were cut up the length of her arm and a noose was wrapped around her neck. This was the fever messing with me. I didn't know how my mother killed herself. I fell of the bed when I tried to scurry away.

"Go away!" I yelled. The original words were distorted by my hallucination.

"You were pathetic! Your father and I were planning on selling you before he died!" I was backing up. My eyes staying on my dead mother in front of me while my hands guided me back. I bumped into Scott's dresser, a glass vase shattering on the ground.

"You're not real!" My skin broke apart as the glass found a new home. My hand slipped on my own blood and there was more tiny fragments in my elbow. I was too scared to let out a noise of pain though. I backed myself in the corner of the room. The ghost of my mom descended upon me.

"Scott doesn't love you!" She screamed. I felt the tears making their way down my face. "Scott thinks you're worthless. Scott is going to use you and then leave. Just like everyone else wanted to do!" The vision began fading and I saw who was really there. It was Kirstie who was calling out for Scott. That's why my mother kept repeating his name.

"Don't worry Mitch. Scott will clean you up." The pain finally set in as I became in tune with the blood dripping down my skin. My only reaction was to cry.

"Mitch?" I flinched away when Scott tried to touch me. He looked at Kirstie. "What happened?"

"I don't know. I walked in because I heard a scream and then he yelled at me to go away. He said that I wasn't real Scott. What did he mean?" Scott put his hand against my forehead.

"The fever. It's getting worse."

"Am I going to die Scott?" He didn't answer. He wouldn't even look at me.

"Leave Kirstie. I'll take care of him." I gasped as he lifted me into his arms and walked me into the bathroom. He set me on the edge of the bathtub. He used tweezers to evict the glass from my elbows. I bit my lips to keep from making noise. "Your mom. What did she say?"

"How did you know?"

"I figured." He looked up at me. I swallowed shyly.

"She said I was worthless." My feet clicked against the tile floor. "And that you didn't love me. That you were just going to use me then leave." He wiped the blood away with a damp cloth. He was frowning while he cleaned the rest of my cuts. "I know she was lying. About you at least." He caressed my cheek while his crystal blue eyes looked into mine.

"You're priceless, not worthless." I laced our fingers together.

"I missed your company."

"How do you know that?" I couldn't stop the words that tumbled out of my mouth.

"Because I fantasized about you." I slapped my bandaged hands over my mouth. He kept staring at me with a blank look. "And it was really nice how you would touch me or hold me. The things you would say would my heart flutter and every time your lips were on my skin, I felt this tingling feeling like fire was burning my skin. I....I'm going to stop talking now."

"Good." In the blink of an eye, his lips were pressed against mine in a soft kiss that broke not long after. "I thought I had scared you off." I shook my head.

"You didn't. I promise."

"I'm glad." He went to the medicine cabinet to get two pills that he placed in my hand. "Take these. They'll help you sleep longer and recover from that fever. I miss taking you out with me." I kept my eyes on the pills, afraid that they would somehow jump down my throat and release their poison.

"I don't want to sleep. I don't want my nightmare to continue." He brushed my hair back from my face before kissing the tip of my nose.

"I'll be there to protect you. I promise." I popped the pills in my mouth nervously and drank some of the water Scott offered. He helped me back to the bed. He even let me curl up to his side as I fell asleep.

Scott and I were running again until my foot got caught on the root again. This time though, he stayed with me. He fought of our pursuers and carried me to safety. To both of our freedom. Together.