Chapter 6

Song: Human by Christina Perri

Really helped me through writing this chapter!

Ok, guys, from here on, I have to warn you. There might be scenes which contain severe occurrences of depression and self-harm. so I request those who aren't comfortable with this to read with caution  

"Things will get easier, 
people's minds will change, 
and you should be alive to see it."

―Ellen Degeneres   

.*.*.*.*.

"Ms. Hart...' The substitute teacher said staring at me with unmasked curiosity. I didn't blame him. This is my second detention on a consecutive day. "Come in," he said hesitantly as my cheeks turned crimson with the unwanted attention. I didn't need to be told twice as I scurried inside and sat on the nearest desk. "Late to English again..?" the teacher asked, trying to start a conversation.

"Yes, sir. I didn't mean to." I said in a small voice with nervousness bubbling inside me. We were so far the only two people in the room.

"Ok, then. We'll have more people joining us pretty soon. Why don't you get started on your essay?" The teacher asked me pushing a paper onto my desk.

'An essay on tardiness' 

Now, who would've thought of that?

I sighed as I pulled out my pen from my backpack. 

"What is up, Mr. T!" A cheery voice greeted from the back. I turned my head around to see James, A guy from my chemistry class. He was popular which meant he didn't know my name. I turned back to the desk trying to make myself as small as possible. I had seen him around. He was part of the football team. I didn't really have that much of an interaction with the guy though.

"Mr. Collins." The teacher replied in a monotone voice. "I was wondering where you were." He finished with a sigh.

"Always a pleasure," James said with a smirk as he picked up a sheet from the teacher's table. He turned around ready to head back when his eyes landed on me. They stayed on me for a while as I fisted my palms up. I pretended to look down and he was about to say something but was interrupted by the loud opening of the door. He immediately looked towards the door and a smirk made its way onto his face.

"Dude! Mr. T, good day,"A loud voice came from behind me and I heard a pair of footsteps making their way into the classroom. The guys who walked in were most probably his friends. They were pretty loud. I tried to ignore them and made myself busy with the essay.

The sooner I get this done with, the better.

The teacher, on the other hand, sighed defeatedly. "This is meant to be a form of punishment people," he mumbled under his breath.

The three boys sat at a table behind me. I don't have enough words to describe the awkwardness I was feeling. I clearly haven't been with this crowd before. 

Where was Adrian anyway? He was the reason I was forced into this after all.

'Tardiness is not the best trait...' I started off.