Chapter 7

Girls like us are hardly ever wanted you know
We're used up and sad and drunk and
Perpetually waiting by the phone for someone to pick up
And tell us that we did good
You did good

°^°^°^°

I stared at the cellphone screen and bit my lip. The sun streamed in through the windows and I closed my eyes to block it out. I pulled the blanket closer before hitting the reply button.

My fingers hovered over the keyboard not completely sure what to say to Luke.

I've never skipped school before which meant I have never had to lie to Luke before. I took a deep breath and contemplated telling him the truth. I immediately dismissed the idea, not wanting to be a bigger burden than I already was. He must be getting tired of me by now.

Suddenly another message popped up on the screen.

Luke:
Ally! Where are you?!

I looked at the screen nervously and was just about to type in that I was sick when the phone rang loudly, startling me for a moment. Recovering from the initial shock, I glanced at the number immediately knowing that it was him.

Sliding the button to reject the call, I quickly went to my call log and blocked his number. I sighed in relief and was just about to reply to Luke... finally, when the phone rang loudly again. Only this time, Luke's face flashed on the screen. Mentally preparing myself to talk to him, I swiped the button and pressed the phone to my ear.

"Luke," I breathed into the phone, clutching the bed sheet tightly in my other hand. There was a slight disturbance on the other end before Luke replied.

"Yes, that is my name," he said in a dry tone, making my lips curve upwards almost involuntarily.

I shook my head at his answer before he spoke again. "What in the name of all the Greek gods were you thinking, leaving me here to suffer this torture alone?!" Luke whined and I did a mental eye roll.

"What happened now?" I asked with mock concern, playing along with his dramatic tone.

"Biology lab happened. We were assigned places today and since you weren't there, I'm stuck with this guy who's worse at it than I am! And that is saying something," he grumbled morosely.

My eyes widened with the revelation. For the past 2 years, I had always been with Luke in all the lab related periods simply because we were allowed to choose partners and the research work often involved meeting up after school.

God only knows what would happen now if I had to mingle with other people who only made fun of me behind my back.

"Alls!" Luke's voice broke my reverie. "If skipping school isn't bad enough, you're going to zone out on me too now?" He questioned with fake hurt in his voice. My worry disappeared for a moment as I smiled at his antics.

"What can I say Lukey? You're getting boring," I replied with as much seriousness as I could muster.

Luke gasped in a melodramatic fashion, making my smile wider. "You hurt my feelings." He informed me.

"That was the intention," I announced and a chuckle slipped out of my mouth.

I heard Luke laughing on the other end too. "God, Alls! I can't survive a day without you! " he said, no hint of sarcasm in his voice. My smile disappeared.

I should be saying this to him.

I hesitantly bit my lower lip, not knowing how to reply to him. Before I could say anything however, the shrill sound of the bell on Luke's end interrupted my thoughts. Luke sighed on hearing the sound.