Chapter Three

"Nani, Khushiji is now already in the middle of her third trimester. Don't you think we should organise a baby shower for her? The baby also will get the blessings of everyone." Anjali suggested as she stringed fresh flower garlands for Devi Maiya's murti. They were both seated in the hall, waiting for the rest of the family members to come so they could start serving the breakfast. Though it would not be a typical family time, they both knew the presence of each other was just sufficient.

"Hmm, the idea is good, bitiya." Devyani nodded and smiled as a gesture to show appreciation for the idea. "Under this pretext, we can all spend some time together as well."

"So Nani, should i-" Anjali halted her absent-minded statement, then went on with a resigned sigh, "Will you talk to Chotte? If he agrees then we can start the preparations soon."

Her fallen face and dejected tone was not hidden from the elderly lady even though she tried to hide it. Devyani shook her head, feeling sorrow growing profound in her heart at the broken bond of her children, who once were the light of her family.

"I will." She simply said. Sighing to herself, she got back to sipping her tea in an attempt to ward off these thoughts lest she wants to deteriorate her health more than it already was. Not that she cared for herself but she knew the family had enough hassles to deal with already.

Anjali nodded, swallowing her unshed tears. Her hands toyed with the flowers on her lap, suddenly disinterested in their colors and fragrance.

Both sat in silence, dwelling in their own thoughts until a deafening screech almost caused Devyani to choke on her tea and Anjali to pierce the needle through her finger as they both jerked from their places. They looked at each other, then towards the door, finally noticing the whirlpool that was rushing in with his arms wide open.

"NANIJI!" He shouted again, grinning like an excited ten year old as he hurried to embrace the elderly lady, almost choking the life out of her.

Devyani exhaled, smiling at her grandchild then forcibly broke the hug lest she wants to kiss the world goodbye before her time.

"NK Bitwa." She whispered, genuinely delighted to see the face beaming at her. "When did you arrive from Sydney? And, why didn't you inform any of us that you were coming?" She asked, even though the answers didn't truly matter. All that mattered was that he was here after almost six months.

NK stepped back and straightened the bag over his shoulder. "Actually I wanted to surprise everyone. After all, I'm here after such a long time. Entry toh dhamakechaar honi thi!" He said, his happy-go-lucky demeanor making the elderly lady laugh her heart out.

"Dhamakechaar nahi NK Bhai, Dhamakedaar!" Anjali stood up grinning, equally gleeful to see her younger brother. She stepped forward to hug him, but his taken aback face and suddenly stiff posture caused her to retreat. Her smile as well as her hands fell down. 

"Er, yeah. That, sorry." NK mumbled as response. His averted eyes and awkward body language conveyed to her that he wasn't interested to talk. Or to be precise, he still was not interested to talk to her.

She swallowed the bile that painfully rose in her throat at the rejection and forced a smile on her face. 

"B-breakfast is just about to be served. Good that you came on time. I'll, I'll just be back in a sec." She excused herself and took the basket of flowers and thread to limp away as fast as she could, fearing that her tears would fall in the presence of those who might just think its a pretense.

But can she really blame him? The answer was no. She earned this herself and that's why she preferred to keep it all inside of her.

She didn't deserve to grieve in front of others and expect them to support her.