Chapter Two

"Now come in."

Khushi's honeyed voice broke Payal's sorrowful reverie as she invited her with an equally well fabricated smile. Keeping her gaze on Khushi, Payal entered the house, waiting to catch a glimpse of her baby sister in the stranger standing in front of her. 

But alas! She found nothing and probably will find nothing till the end of time. 

Heart burdened with the distressing realisation, she moved her eyes away from her hostess and caught the sight of the bedecked Shantivan standing in all its glory to welcome her. Her eyes that had softened in grievance at what she probably lost forever, hardened again as she felt the bright light and fragrant flowers mocking her dark and putrid life.

Making sure the coldness doesn't slip off her face, she carried on inside the house, wanting to see what more the Raizadas have done to ridicule her state.

Everyone heaved a sigh and followed her till the hall. Everyone, except for Khushi whose smile had vanished in thin air as soon as Payal went inside. The breath she was holding back escaped in a shaky motion and she stood there, gripping the thali in her vice grip.

"If it is hurting you so much then why don't you just free yourself from all of this?" The exasperated voice of her husband rang in her now throbbing head and she blinked, twice then thrice before marching towards their room.

"Khu-" Arnav lifted his hand to stop her, then halted in mid air as she disappeared in a poof .

Dammit, Khushi.

He shook his head then matched her pace as he rushed after her with a peaked irritation and worry.

"Khushi!" He exclaimed as soon as he reached the room. His shoulders slumped when he saw her standing there with a smile on her face.

"Ji, Arnavji?" She asked, turning towards the wardrobe to keep the clothes she just picked up.

"Alright, that's it." Arnav breathed out and to her confusion, stormed towards the wardrobe. 

She frowned, dropping the clothes on the recliner as he took out a suitcase and started filling them with their clothes - so briskly that she feared he'll tear the material apart. 

"Wha-what are you doing?" She asked, aghast by his hasty movements.

"Getting us out of here." His response, however, was calm and casual as he spoke without slowing down. 

Khushi sighed. With one hand on her belly, she took a step forward and tried but failed to grasp his shoulder as he moved back and forth the wardrobe and the bed. She sighed again. 

"Arnavji, stop." She said, managing to get hold of his arm which he carefully shrugged after giving her a known look of obstinacy.

"Arnavji-" She tirelessly tried again but this time he moved past her to open the other side of the wardrobe.

She closed her eyes, taking in a deep breath before turning swiftly and snatching the piece of cloth from his hand.

"Arnavji, stop! For God Sake! We are not going anywhere!" She almost yelled in annoyance but that had little effect on Arnav, until he saw her breathing laboring and eyes watering.

He exhaled, taking a few seconds to calm himself down before he almost yanked the suitcase filled with clothes on the floor. He then held Khushi's shoulders and tenderly pushed her down to sit on the edge of the bed whilst he knelt himself in front of her. He liberated the shirt she had snatched from him, from her fingers and held her hands. 

"Khushi." He looked up, almost on the verge of beseeching.

"You don't have to do this. You don't have to force yourself into," He paused, struggling to find the right words that would have an effect on her, that would straighten any crooked thoughts she was having and put some sense in her mind.