Chapter Six

Giggles and whistles surrounded her as she clasped her hands to her mouth, trying but failing to control her laughter for in front of her were her Buaji dancing with her infamous opponent, Mamiji. 

Soon Khushi's laughter died into a sigh and she leaned against Arnav, who was still chuckling at the scene in front of him. Her lips curled again when Mamiji shot her imaginary gun at Buaji and then blew on her two fingers - but this time, the smile was not of mirth but of a rather saddening realisation. 

Realisation that all this fun, all these laughter was nothing but an effect of the festive environment.

When Buaji, along with Amma and Babuji entered the hall, the only communication they had with the Raizadas was a simple and bleak greeting just for the sake of courtesy. But as soon as Buaji and Mamiji were dragged to the dance floor by the dancers, there was a sudden rejuvenation of their ancient humorous enmity. All the complaints that the Gupta family had with the Raizadas were momentarily drowned in the zeal of the celebration. But Khushi know, that once the drums and songs ceases, the drug of happiness that has bound these people together will also cease. All that would be left is the revival of the bitter past and the never ending resentment among them all. 

Khushi didn't quite know what she preferred. This joyful togetherness or that silent rivalry. For a second she preferred the latter. It would be better. After all that happened in the past, it was better for the two families to maintain their distances.

But as she sat there, watching everyone lose themselves in glee - swirling each other to the blasting music and simply live the moment, she had second thoughts. Her mind wheeled back to years ago, when this sight was the reality of her life, when this happiness was what spiraled around her each day and suddenly, she wished for this togetherness to become real again. She wished that even after this ceremony, she would still see her families together. She wished, and could just wish that the distances that exist between them today, would not have existed at all. 

But this was all futile thinking. The reality is far different from what she was wishing and it was good in its own way. 

Thus, shrugging all the pointless musing, Khushi tried to enjoy the ceremony again. Her palms met as she clapped enthusiastically when it was the turn for her parents to set the floor on fire but as soon as she gave out the first laugh, a blasting sound was heard. 

The music ceased immediately and with panic rushing, all heads whipped towards the source of the sound and stilled at the two figures upstairs. 

Khushi's eyes widened and her hands automatically reached to surround her belly as she stared at the person who was in an apparent struggle with Payal. 

"Shyam." She low-gasped and it seemed like that was what broke Arnav's shocked trance, for he immediately left her and started sprinting upstairs with Akash and NK running just behind him - gasping and calling Payal's name.

Khushi sagged into Madhumati's broad posture who at once reached for her and looked at Payal, then at her husband and brother-in-laws back and forth - her breath stilled in fright. She clasped Madhumati's hands tight when she noticed a gun in Shyam's hand which he was continuously trying to point at her. Then she noticed Payal's hands that was clasped around Shyam's wrist in an attempt to drive the muzzle away from her (Khushi's) direction. 

But alas. As Payal turned the gun away from Khushi and unknowingly towards herself, Shyam pressed the trigger. 

Shrills of horror filled the hall as drops of blood splattered on the glass railing and suddenly, Khushi felt too choked up to react to this particular shock. From the corner of her eyes, she could see Nanheji tackling Shyam to the ground and the others running up the stairs but all she could fully focus on was Payal, who was now limp in Akash's arms.