Chapter Four

An outbreak of giggles and murmurs filled the premise of Shantivan as guests started dispersing round the hall - all while loudly musing at the lavish decorations. The festive music was booming from all directions, igniting in some people the desire to move their body to the rhythm and enjoy the festive night the Raizadas have thrown for the baby shower of their eldest daughter-in-law. After all, it was no longer a common activity of this family to throw such parties, unlike the past where almost every month there would be a cause for celebration. The laughter soon intensified as the children started playing some unique game of theirs which basically consisted of scaring the already scary-looking aunties with heavy make-up and sharp tongues.

However, in one corner of the same hall stood the only distraught person, watching the scene from afar. Unlike the rest of the people, her heart was nowhere happy. It was instead aching, for she felt like an outcast in her own family - an intruder in her own sister's happiness. And the worst part of it was that, she blamed herself for this.

Her eyes welled up again whilst her face struggled to clench all her emotions inside of her as her mind unwillingly wheeled back to the conversation she had with Devyani last night.

"Naniji, you called me?" Payal asked standing at the threshold of the room once she got the attention of Devyani after her double knock. 

Devyani looked up, then closed the book she was reading and kept her glasses aside before nodding at her daughter-in-law.

"Yes bitiya. Come on in." She smiled, patting the space next to her on the bed.

Returning her the smile, Payal complied. If it were any other member of the family, she would have thought twice before even coming to meet them but this lady here, Payal knew, doesn't deserve any piece of her ignorance. After all, when everyone, even her own husband left her, this same lady was the only support she had.

"Tell me Naniji, did you need something?" She asked, shrugging her thoughts lest they overwhelm her.

Devyani nodded again. She cleared her throat and opened her mouth to say something, only to shut it the very next second as if contemplating what she was about to say.

Payal frowned and reached to hold her grandmother's hand. "Is everything okay, Naniji?"

The concern that she had in her eyes made Devyani's heart strongly contract with pain, making it more and more difficult for her to utter the words she was requested to share with Payal, by Arnav not so long ago.

"Yes, everything is fine. I just, I needed to request you something." She said, feeling her throat going dry with grief once again - grief for the crossroad she has found herself today. 

"Yes? What is it?"

Devyani averted her eyes from Payal's face, fixating at nothing particular as she rambled without stop so as to not stutter, "Look Bitiya, you are well aware of the situation we are all in right now. Three years ago whatever happened has as if cast this looming darkness on us all. It makes us scared out of our wits for no reason. Especially Khushi Bitiya. She suffered the most and till date, is continuing to suffer. That's one reason why we organised this ceremony, to cheer her up. To divert her attention from the pain for a while so she could finally be happy. But, but as such if the traces of the past would be in front of her, she will never be able to enjoy. That's why I, I mean I think-"

"Naniji." Devyani halted, feeling Payal squeezing her hand slightly and looked up to see the latter smiling softly.

"I know what you're trying to say. And don't worry, I will be careful. I won't come in front of her." Payal reassured. She had already made this decision ever since she saw Khushi's excited face. And she knew, this excitement will last only when she's not around. That's why she had already convinced herself to maintain distance from everyone on this occasion, not wanting to corrupt anyone's happiness this time.

Devyani's shoulders sagged in despair whilst moisture burnt her eyes at the sight of her poor child. Not being able to say anything more, she simply cupped Payal's face and gave her a gentle kiss on her forehead, thanking her for her understanding.

The chain of Payal's thoughts broke when she heard another burst of laughter and she looked in front of her, to see her Buaji and Mother-in-law having a dance battle. Nonetheless, they seemed to be making remarks and faces at each other than actually dance, making everyone else go crazy with chuckles. 

Her own lips curved and this time, she couldn't help the liquid that flowed freely from her eyes. Her heart ached. A lot. She wanted to be there, with them. With her family but she couldn't. Just because of her stupid anger that ended everything she had years ago, she couldn't. And that made her feel more worthless than ever. When she had all that, when she had the love of her parents, her aunt and her sister, she went blind in the love of her ignorant husband. She gave up everything for him and today, she doesn't even have him. 

She knew she had lost everything but every time she stands alone, the realisation of it hits her with a new wave, making the pain unfold harder and not being able to handle the agony anymore, she turned on her heels and started walking away in search of some solitude.

She was walking along the corridor to reach her room, knowing that Akash was probably too busy with the ceremony to have some time to rest in the room. Her vision was cloudy by now and that's why when she bumped into someone, causing their bag to fall on the floor, she really thought it was her mistake and began to apologize, until she stilled hearing a familiar voice.

"Sorry." The man she had just bumped into mumbled whilst straightening the scarf he had around his face. 

She frowned, looking at him keenly as he averted his eyes nervously and picked his bag before scurrying away. She tried calling for him but he was already out of her sight the second she turned around.

Payal stood there for a few seconds, trying to put her hand on where she heard that voice before but finding nothing, she shrugged it off and resumed her walk to her room when her brain clicked a notch.

The bracelet.

She gasped, remembering the bracelet she saw on that man's hand when he was smoothing his scarf. Her blood chilled, as realisation sank in.

"Shyam."

She whispered to herself, almost choked out in a sudden fret as she veered off to the direction he went.  Terror flooded through her as after searching every corner, she finally found him aiming his gun at someone. Her eyes followed his aim till they rested on Khushi, who was laughing freely with Arnav by her side. 

For a second she felt frozen as everything went into an haze. She tried to shout but as she saw Shyam ready to pull the trigger, she forgot everything and ran. She ran like a literal maniac until she collided with his body, causing him to lose balance and shoot the ceiling instead of Khushi. 

The gunshot startled everyone in the hall, causing them to look up and gasp loudly at the scene that unfolded in front of them. With adrenaline rushing through at the sight of Shyam, Arnav, Akash and NK all rushed upstairs shouting the name of Payal as the latter tried her hardest to snatch the gun from Shyam who was visibly in a maddening rage at her intrusion.

The rest, especially Khushi were in extreme tremors as they looked back and forth at the sudden and hasty turn of events. Some kept on shouting, while some were too busy shedding tears of fear in this chaos, until another gun shot was heard and everything fell into silence.

_________________