Chapter Eleven

Khushi and Payal were both advised to spend the next three days in the hospital, under observation - one owing to her preterm delivery and the other owing to her injury. Fortunately, the baby was fine and was permitted by the doctor to be brought along back home and Khushi couldn't have been happier. It was her worst fear to have her baby sick and in danger because she couldn't take care of herself properly when she should have. 

It was therefore evident that she was over cloud nine when the day finally came where she would be returning back home.

Home

Not house

Khushi smiled as she straightened her shawl around herself whilst sitting on the bed, waiting for Arnav to come fetch her and the baby once he's done with the formalities.

Perhaps the only thing that she liked about her stay in the hospital was it kind off brought Arnav closer to the family members. He would still avoid talking to them, but his behavior reflected awkwardness and not coldness towards them. 

That was a good thing, Khushi thought, because that meant at least he was trying to communicate with them - even if he was constantly battling with his fear of being let down again. For example even if he reaffirmed the relationship their daughter - whom they had decided to name Aarvi - had with Anjali, he would be constantly on his guard when Aarvi would be with her - scared that she might hurt his child.

To be honest, even Khushi had this fear. It was probably worst in her case because she couldn't trust anyone in that family, with the exception of Naniji and Nanheji, with her daughter. She would feel happy seeing Aarvi getting so much pampered but then she wouldn't be able to bring herself to let them have her alone. She needed Aarvi in front of her eyes and if not, she knew she would go into panic mode. 

Everyone had understood her fear as well as Arnav's, though they did not discuss it with them. Rather, they felt lucky that at least these two had a heart so enormous that they decided to show at least this much of trust in them. 

That was good for a beginning, right?

In short, during these three days, Khushi saw a possiblity that indeed all the relations were once broken, could mend themselves again. Arnav is being reluctant, but he has shown that he wanted to move on too, though he is taking small step in this journey.

Well, maybe all relations were on their way towards a happy ending - except for one. 

Payal sighed as she fidgeted with her fingers, glancing over at the door at regular intervals. Akash was out there finishing some formalities so she could be discharged and she wondered what was keeping him for so long. 

She stared at her small bag of necessities that Buaji had brought for her three days ago to use during her stay in the hospital, waiting when she would be able to just take it and get the hell out of this hospital. Not that she hated staying here. How could she - when it is this place that holds the memory of her resuscitation? But as much as she loves being reminded of how she got her family back, she would love actually living with that family a hundred times more. 

Living with her family - her Amma, Babuji and Buaji. 

The thought was both heart warming and heart breaking, and Payal fought to keep the smile on her face intact. 

She had successfully convinced herself that this is what she wants. To be away from Akash and with her own ones but as these three days passed, she couldn't help but think whether she was going away on her will or due to her need of escaping Akash? This thought was nagging her but she couldn't bring herself to decide otherwise. There was a part of her that indeed wanted to go and stay with Akash, but there was a bigger portion of her heart that was against this wish. That was the part of her which was so brutally broken Akash's indifference years ago - it still fears him.