Chapter Ten

Tears blinded Arnav's eyes as he paced the length of the corridor, his gaze fixed at the door behind which Khushi was crying out of pain. He stopped and clenched his fist, punched in the air then resumed his pace - his mind rattling with each passing second. 

Khushi was due in another three weeks but now the doctor was saying she would have a preterm delivery - the reason probably being the stress she was undergoing and Arnav cursed himself for that. He cursed himself for failing to take care of her properly. He knew how emotionally fragile she had gotten during these days of familial turmoil, yet he allowed her to take more stress. Damn it.

His berserk condition was noted by everyone who were standing outside along with him. He had been like this since he saw Khushi on the stretcher - sobbing and crying out of pain and it worst when he saw her state when the contractions became stronger. That was why the doctor advised him to wait outside and now, he just seemed on the verge of barging inside the delivery room again. 

"Nanav, calm down! The doctor said it's all fine. Khushiji will be okay and the baby will be fine too. Just, just be calm!" NK tried to reason him but even his words were shut out by the same thing Arnav kept repeating. 

"You don't understand, NK! She, she was not ready! She was scared and it, it's too soon and sudden for her! Oh god, she's so pain and I can't-" He paused, unable to get any words out of his throat. Tears were visible in his eyes and they all felt bad for him. That's why despite herself, Anjali couldn't help but approach him. 

"Cho-" She paused, sighed, then resumed, "Arnav, it's okay. Some women tend to go into early labor but then end up being completely fine. Even I have a few friends who went through this. Some even delivered earlier than Khushiji, yet they are fine. Trust me, its going to be just okay and about the pain, Khushiji won't even bother about it once she sees the baby. It's worth it, just trust me." 

Arnav stared at her, taking long breaths. He then turned back to the door, simply hoping for Anjali's words to be true.

_________________

Payal was sitting upright on the bed, silently crying out of panic when Akash came in. She looked up with a start, breathing out once before shooting her frenzied questions at him. 

"Khushi, Khushi-how is she? Wha, what happened?" 

Akash held her hands when she tried to lift up her body. "She's okay. The doctor said she's in early labour but it's okay, there's no complications. The, the delivery will be smooth. Okay, just relax!"

He tried to eased her worry but instead of decreasing, her distress elevated. 

Payal blinked, feeling tears escaping her eyes. 

"It's all my fault! She was so stressed because of me - that's why this happened, right?" She stared at Akash, teary eyed. 

Akash gape back at her, not knowing what to say. Why is she and Arnav both thinking the labor started because of them? Wasn't it suppose to happen anyway? 

Confused, Akash still tried to calm her down but she was nowhere to stop. 

"No, Akash! It is me! I'm always the reason why she suffers. Years ago I was the one who broke her heart, and now, I'm the one who caused her so much distress! Oh god, what if it affects her baby? God, I would never be able to forgive myself this time-never!" As the course of her thought changed, she felt herself breaking into more tears, leaving Akash with no option but to hold her closer. 

He gave out a resigned sigh, somehow understanding why she was behaving like this and slowly pulled her head to rest on his chest. He was glad when she complied, though he knew it was not her, but her current distress that was allowing herself close to him.