Chapter Seven

Khushi stood at the threshold of Payal's ward, sighing to herself as she watched the latter lay on the hospital bed unmoved. Her eyes were moist, but the tears were merely a residue of the relief she felt when the doctor had announced that Payal was out of danger, not too long ago. Everyone, including her, had burst into tears for their joy knew no bounds. 

But unfortunately, the happiness was short lived, especially when the doctor advised them not to give Payal any stress. Akash, who was already set to enter the room, backed off, afraid that his presence would cause his wife more distress than ever. Seeing his reluctance, everyone had been reminded of the cracks that exists in their relationships. 

Arnav had instantly distanced himself from Anjali and Akash - reason coming back to him once the agony of the sudden events subdued. Even the Guptas stared at each other, not knowing whether to enter the room and see Payal or not - not because they were still angry with her, but because they had no idea of how to go in and talk to the person they have been trying to forget since three years - how to bridge the gap that had made its way between them and their once beloved daughter. 

last night had time a time of vulnerability whereby no one could fight their real emotions and had to ultimately seek solace in each other and this news of Payal's stabilizing condition was a medicine that soothed that vulnerability away - leaving them the strength to be indifferent again. 

And just like that, as the pain that had binded them all momentarily eased itself away, the bitterness of the past was back to haunt their relationships with each other.

And Khushi knew this would happen. That's why she wasn't surprised when her Amma, Buaji and Babuji had suddenly turned their eyes away from the ward as soon as the doctor told them to go in and see their 'daughter'. But they were surprised - taken aback even when Khushi took a step to go in. Even Arnav had looked at her conflicted, not knowing whether she was being carried away by emotions or if this was what she really wanted - to re-approach the person who left her with nothing but nightmares. 

But Khushi had reassured him, for she now knew that it was impossible for her to forget the sister she grew up with - the sister that she once lost and the sister she was now sure had returned back to her. She wanted to mend this relationship, to end this cycle of pain and denial. But as soon as she entered inside and saw Payal, she stood still. 

Her heart and mind knew what she wanted and that was to go and embrace her Jiji so the memories of the venomous Payal would leave her mind, but she didn't know how. 

Should she just go in and be normal? As if she didn't convince herself for three years that she didn't have any sister? 

Khushi blinked and took a deep breath. 

Breaking relationships were pretty easy compared to when it comes to mend them but instead of losing time contemplating over what to do, she decided to let her emotions take over again. So she breathed again and slowly walked inside till she reached by the side of Payal.

Moisture filled her eyes again as she looked at the wan face of her Jiji who was awake but yet so much in pain that she could neither open her eyes nor register her surroundings her. It was only when an involuntary sob escaped Khushi's throat that Payal at last half-opened her eyes.

"Khu-khushi?" Payal breathed out, blinking a few times to make sure she was seeing right and that the face staring back at her was not just a manifestation of the medicinal drugs she was injected with. Once somehow sure that her sight was correct, she tried lifting her hand to her sister. 

"Are you okay?" She asked, unsure of whether her whisper of broken words were making sense to Khushi.

Khushi glanced at the palm Payal extended, then back at the latter's face.