The Calm Before The Storm

Standing outside waiting in the pick up zone, looking up at the light grey clouds hanging over head, a heavy cool breeze blustering over me. A storm was brewing, a gradual one where the rains continue to get more icy as the temperature declines. It reminded me of the storm last winter. It reminded me of him. The wind covered me hard, encasing me in a foggy haze of memories. Memories that started from that abundantly large snow fall and the stranger that saved me...

The weather was a lot like today, the skies were midnight black, it was 3pm...and the wind was a soft cold, kind of cold that could chill a grown man to the bone...

As I walked down the side of the cracked dirt road, my boots brushed against the soft moist grass that had what seemed like a slow motion resiliency causing me to leave a trail of prints. I had the nightmare again last night and have been walking down this old road for hours. I finally come out of my own head when I hear a familiar honk, it's Pace, my redneck guy best friend I've been in love with since second grade.

The passenger side window rolls down. I hear that thick country accent, so smooth and thick you could spread it on bread like butter, eat it, and never savor anything more delicious again.
"Hey "