Chapter Sixteen

"This is a mission?" I questioned. "Seems more an errand."

"It's a covert mission," Bruce said again. "The goal is information, not a fight. Do you understand that?"

I rolled my eyes. "Of course, but it's been four weeks since my last 'mission' and I didn't even do anything but watch."

"Scarecrow escaped from Arkham Asylum two days ago," Bruce said ignoring my comment. "I tracked him down and need to know what he's doing. Seemed like a good opportunity for you."

"Fine," I said. "Where am I going."

"I put the address on your watch's map. Follow that."

I nodded and left in the zeta tube.

The scene before me materialized into a dark alleyway. I looked at my watch to see I was still in Gotham. A moment later two small dots appeared on the screen. The yellow one was me, and the red one must have been Scarecrow's location.]

Rooftop seemed like the best way to get there. I leaped from a dumpster to a fire escape and scrambled to the top of an apartment building. After a couple minutes of jumping from roof to roof I arrived at an office building for sale. I entered the air shaft head first, following the sounds of voices. The voices became louder at every floor.

Inching along the third floor, the words came into focus. Once I reached a vent opening, I had to stop in fear someone would see me. 

"I only helped you out of Arkham because I heard you could help me," said a deep voice that was obviously masked by a voice changer.

"Doesn't mean I have to," the other voice said, who I could only imagine was Scarecrow.

"I can't control my abilities though."

There was silence for a moment.

"If I'm going to help you," Scarecrow finally said, "you are going to have to do something for me."

"Of course. Anything."

"I believe someone is crawling around the vents," he paused. My eyes widened. "Find them. Bring them to me."

I began to panic. I moved backwards towards the way I came. My feet found a duct that led out the side of the building... three stories high. Hoping there was  no one was outside, I gripped the edge of the opening to swing out. I attached my cable to the side of the opening and zipped down the side of the building.

I thankfully reached the ground with no trouble. I pulled out the map on my watch and found my way back to the zeta tube. It took longer along the streets, but it kept me hidden. I saw no signs of the Scarecrow or whoever he was talking to.

"Well?" Bruce asked when I entered the Batcave.

"He didn't work alone."