18. Together Again

"This is your doing. You get the door."

Laf made a face, trying to life the cloud of ominous-ness from the room. It sort of worked. He walked to the door, calling over his shoulder as he went, "Are you going to clean yourself up or what?"

Muffled curses greeted him, and Laf smiled softly. The mood was officially lifted, and he felt a little more confident. Confident enough to grab the doorknob and pull the door open,revealing his brother and his mother.

--

The door opened, and Thomas was enveloped in a crushing bear hug. When he finally was released, he had to take a few experimental breaths to make sure his lungs hadn't collapsed. 

Laf had moved on to Eliza, but he was gentler with her, almost as if he was afraid she'd come apart in his arms. When she didn't, Laf squeezed tighter, burying his face deep into her shoulder. "I missed you so much," he said softly, and she laughed.

"Funny, that's exactly what your brother said."

They moved into the house, leaving the door open behind them for John, who was bringing in their luggage. In the living room, Alexander was there to greet them. "Thomas," he said. "Eliza." His voice was flat, and Thomas felt a twinge of disappointment. Laf got a heartfelt reunion, why couldn't he?

But then Alexander pulled him into a hug twice the strength of Laf's, one hand cradling Thomas' head. "Never scare me like that again," he whispered, letting a tear or two slide out of his eyes. 

Thomas would never admit it, but at that moment, he nearly broke.

Laf noticed that Alexander had combed his hair, and couldn't hold back a smile.

None of them saw John come in. None of them heard his intake of breath. None of them saw the way his eyes raked over Alexander's face. 

And no one saw Maria, her own eyes stuck on Eliza.