33

"What do you think so far?" Ridge asks after we finish our dinner.

I smile. "I love it. This is the sweetest thing someone's ever done for me."

He smiles then stands up. Turning his back to me, he walks over to the radio. I wait for a moment, and when, it comes on, I smile. It's a somewhat slow song, "Beneath Your Beautiful" By Labrinth, and it's one of my favorite songs. Ridge turns around, and he smiles. "May I have this dance?"

"What's with you and dancing?" I ask, standing up.

Ridge moves the table and chairs out of the way. While he does this, he replies, "I just love to dance, especially with you."

He walks back over to me, taking my hand and spinning me around. I grin, coming back to him. He smiles that beautiful smile of his and asks, "How did I wind up with you? How could I have possibly got this lucky?"

I place a hand on his cheek. "You weren't the one who got lucky, Ridge. I was."

Something flickers in his eyes before he kisses me, his arms wrapping around my waist. I wrap my arms around his neck, smiling. He pulls away after a moment, laying his chin on my head. Something wet lands on my head, and I look up. "Ridge, are you crying?" I ask.

He looks at me, and sure enough, he is crying. "You know I love you, right?" he asks, desperation in his voice.

Confused, I nod. "Of course. I love you, too. What's wrong?" I ask.

Ridge just smiles, but it doesn't reach his eyes. "I'm just so happy to have you in my life. In fact-" He sniffles, pulling away. Reaching into his pocket, he pulls out a small, black box. He opens the lid, and inside is a ring.

It's rose gold with sparking gems encircling the band. The gem in the middle is rose gold as well. The ring is beautiful. I look at Ridge with wide eyes. He chuckles, "I'm not asking you to marry me...yet. It was my mom's. I kind of took it out of her jewelry box before I left, and I want you to have it. I promise to love you forever, and that's what I want this to represent. Gosh, that sounds cheesy."

I laugh, "It's not the most cheesy thing you've said."

He smiles and nods toward the ring. "I hope it fits."

Gently, I take it out of the box and out it on my right ring finger. It fits perfectly. Ridge sighs, "Thank goodness."

I look at Ridge before enveloping him into a hug. "Thank you," I say, "for everything."

"No, thank you. I don't know who I would be right now if I hadn't have taken that dare."

I laugh, letting the memory play through my head. "I guess I slapped your ego out of you."

He chuckles, pulling away. "That, and you changed me, Braelyn. You really did."

I smile at him. "You changed me, too."

Ridge looks away for a second then back at me. "We changed each other for the better."

I nod. "Yes, we did."

"What do you suppose we do now?"

"Movie?"

He grins. "Sounds great to me."
××××××
The next day I'm in a great mood. Last night's date plays like a movie in my head, and I couldn't wipe the smile off of my face. After the movie, Ridge had taken me home. Luckily, my idiot brothers weren't up. I took a shower and went to bed with a smile, cuddling with Pandavier.

"Hey, what's u-oh goodness, is that what I think it is!" Emma exclaims, causing everyone to look at us. She grabs my hand before I can even more my locker door out of the way. Then, she meets my eyes. "Tell me you did not do what I think you did."

"What are yo-NO, EMMA!" I yell, causing everyone to look at us. I look back at Emma and lower my voice. "I'm not that kind of girl."

She sighs in relief. "Thank goodness, and I know you're not. I was just making sure. You've changed since you've met Ridge."

I glare. "I have not."

Emma raises her eyebrows. "You can keep telling yourself that, Braelyn, but I know you've changed. It's not a bad change either."

Before I can reply, I spot Xavier behind her, and his eyes bore into the ring on my finger. I quickly move it from view, and his eyes meet mine. We stand like that for a second before he slams his locker shut, runs his casted hand through his hair, and storms off. I swallow, and I look at Emma. "Xavier really hates me, doesn't he?"

"Hates you? No, he's just hurting, Braelyn, but there's nothing you can do. He'll get over it. Just give him time," She says softly.

I force a smile. "Okay," I say.

"C'mon, let's get to class," she says.
××××××
"Hello, beautiful," Ridge greets, sitting beside me underneath the oak tree. He immediately grabs one of my fries.

"I will kill you if you touch another one of my fries," I say.

"Nah, you love me too much," Ridge grins cheekily.

Emma and Marcus laugh before Emma says, "She and I got into a fight because I hate a piece of her chocolate, and I'm her best friend. Don't put it past her."

Ridge points at her. "But I'm her boyfriend."

"FYI: Best friends trump boyfriends," she shoots back.

Ridge looks at Marcus, who holds his hands up. "It's part of their girl code or some crap," he says, "You signed up for it as I did."

I look at Ridge. "Exactly."

Ridge smiles at me. "I wouldn't have it any other way."

"Aw!" Emma gushes before elbowing Marcus. "Why can't you say anything sweet like that to me?"

"I'm a man of few words, but I love you," he says.

That makes them get into an argument, and I look at Ridge. He leans down and kisses me. "I love you."

I smile. "I love you, too," I reply.