9:46 pm

9:46 pm EST

location: calum's guest room

leigh turned away as michael closed the door, her breathing uneven from what almost could have happened between them. she didn't even know how they got like that in the first place. her eyes fluttered closed as she took measured breaths, trying to calm her racing heart down. a voice coming from the phone attached to her ears brought her back from her mini panic attack.

"leigh?" the sweet sound of her boyfriend greeted her. she squeezed her eyes shut as a strong feeling of guilt passed through her. leigh doesn't know what to do; if she should tell louis of what never, but could have, happened or keep it to herself.

"leigh?' his voice asked again, concerned etched into it. he began to worry when she didn't answer him the first time when he called her name. she let out a breath, sitting back onto the bed, her back pressed against the soft mattress. 

"louis?" she answered, clutching the phone tightly in her grip. her knuckles started turning white from the pressure. 

"hey," he sounded breathless, like he finally got what he craved for. "how are you?" he twiddled with his thumbs as he sat in the empty apartment, a feeling of loneliness passing through him. he missed his little leigh, the one who always seemed to have a smile on her face, the one who always seemed to brighten the room once she walked in. he missed her.

leigh's eyebrows crumpled together, siting upright as disbelief bled into her voice. she couldn't believe he had the audacity to actually ask her how she has been after all the time that she's been gone. it was like he didn't even realize she was gone in the first place. "after all this time that i've been gone, the only thing you're gonna say is 'how are you?'

"no! it's just -"

"it's just nothing louis! did you even realize i was gone? or did it slip your mind again?" she yelled, standing up from her seat. leigh was beyond furious, she couldn't even describe how mad she was. in the other room jasmine, calum, and michael all pretended not to hear leigh's yelling, figuring that she needed to let all of this out. they'd confront her about it later.

louis was quiet on the line as leigh kept going. "it never seemed to matter to you how i would feel ever time you cancelled on our plans louis! i understood you had to do band stuff, and i get that, i really do. but i think i let it slide one to many times." she let out a deep breath. and in a quieter, calmer voice, she said, "did you even realized you missed my birthday?"

louis's face paled as he automatically looked to the calender hanging on the wall. he winced when he realized she was right, he did miss her birthday,

she was quiet, waiting for louis to come up with an excuse, like he always did. she was waiting for him to say it wasn't his fault, that it slipped his mind with all the tour and rehearsals that he had coming up. leigh wanted him to say that he'd make more time for her, a statement she knew that could never be fulfilled. she wanted him to tell her that he'd make it up to her, again. 

but what she got was a weak "i'm sorry" coming from the one person she expected more from. leigh let out a shaky breath, tears forming in her eyes at his weak attempt to gain her forgiveness. 

"i'm sorry too." she finally managed to say, a steady stream of tears making their way down her face. she lowered the phone from her ear, finger tapping the end call button. her hands hung limp by her sides, eyes blurry and trained on the wall in front of her. she inhaled and turned, climbing into the bed. she slipped under the covers and pulled them over her head, letting out the first sob of the night. 

louis you dick