chapter 25

Court adjourned for the day, they would continue tomorrow. Same time, nine in the morning, short break for lunch, then continue after until almost three. I gnawed at my lip, sitting in the seat as I felt wiped for the day.

Pjetr came up to me with a bottle of water and said smiled.

People left, my family stayed and we chitchatted a bit. Ro invited me to dinner with them, Donovan too since we hadn't seen them all that much. I rose to get down from the stand, to find my legs were noodles and my heart was a flutter in my chest. Clyde helped me down, and I said something dismissive about it being nerves.

My hand went up, lighting tugging at the choker I wore. I was grateful for it this time, if I didn't have it when I was giving my testimony I would have probably shifted into something. Maybe multiple things. I reached up, pulling the bobby pins and hair elastic that kept my hair up.

As I finished taking the last bobby out, I looked up in time to see Brandon in the doorway. I took in the sight of him. If no one knew what this place was, then it just looked like another courthouse. And everyone was dressed to code, or a little higher end which made them look like models out of a magazine showing off what was coming up for the season.

As I approached, I thought Donovan would be with him but he wasn't.

"....Alpha duties, huh?" I asked, wringing my hands a bit. My fingers felt a bit numb.

"He said he had something to check on, but Donovan would be back in an hour or so-- He cleared your guys' schedule. So I think he has... something... planned." Brandon tried to reassure me, everything just felt so an edge and he was probably nervous from today's events too.

"...Coffee." I said after a long moment. "Let's get coffee."

Brandon nodded, and escorted me out. We walked for a bit, through the massive building trying to find the cafeteria or one of the small drink cafes that were everywhere. It took us a little over thirty minutes, but we found a tiny coffee kiosk. It was run by one barista, but had enough supplies to serve a handful of people at a time. There was a menu of twenty something items, and a glass display of sweets and pastries.

"Cafe macchiato and one of those chocolate and cheese danishes," I said, rubbing my temples.

"I'm not really a coffee drinker," Brandon mumbled, "Uhm... I'll have... The white chocolate chip mocha."

"That sounds good," I lowered my hand, popping my lips softly. The barista told us the total.

I patted myself down for my wallet only to remember I didn't have one. I didn't have a purse, a wallet or even my phone. Brandon shook his head.

"I got it," Brandon pulled out his wallet and produced a few bills.

"I'll pay you back," I said.

Brandon blew a raspberry. "It's fine."

"Next time we hang out. I'm buying," I held out my hand, pinky out.

Brandon stared at me.

"I am attempting a pinky promise, dear Sir." I rolled my eyes, and he scoffed at me. "Do not leave me hanging."

"Fine fine fine. Next time." Brandon secured is pinky to mine, and we pinky shook on it.

The barista gave us our drinks and we looked around for someplace to sit. There was an area that looked like it had been a cafe at somepoint. The kitchen area was boarded up and the counters had the glass cases removed to open it up. There was sitting spaces, some booths and the counter top that doubled as some sort of bar area.