Main: The girl who claimed Fire - Rachel Jacobs [part 1]

I can feel the heat shut up in my bones.  Who knew that I could acquire so much control of the first of man’s base elements?  Fire-its manifestation in me seemed more like a curse than a blessing.  It occurred a month ago while I was bathing.  The ordeal was torturous and one that’s left the upper portions of my back mortally scarred.  It wasn’t a total loss but I do miss wearing tank tops.

[PRESENT DAY-OLD MAN EMMET’S BACK PORCH-8:30PM] 

I took the path leading back to M’s home with a particular mission in mind.  Since Alicia abandoned Ross I was now being tasked to recruiting him. 

[“M, You really think it’s Ross?  I never knew he was the grandson of Old man Emmet.  I can’t believe you two haven’t heard the rumors around school-they say he’s nuts now.  Wait, you actually think he can be one of us?” I asked in a puzzled manor.”]

            [Alicia folded her arms, “I don’t care if he’s grandson or the nephew?  Don’t tell me you’re actually going ta let everything this loser did slide?]

            [I shrugged, “For once I gotta agree with her.  Past or not, what we’re doing is extremely delicate.  Who knows what repercussions those tapes of his might have on us?”]

[“Let me worry about the tapes.  I need you two to continue training.  Between Avalon and the FEDs we’ve got our work cut out for us.  At this late in the game, honestly, any skills gained are a huge step up.  So Rachel, bring him back here and we’ll see what he can do.  Alicia, it’s your turn-step up.”]

Since when did I become the team errand girl?  I sighed as I skipped down the small sloped that led to the lake.  Shaking the sand from my sandals I made my way up to the glass door and peered into the dark house. 

“Wow, its dark in there.  Doesn’t look like anyone’s home.  I’ll knock just to be sure.”

[Knocking]

The echo’s moved through the house unnoticed.  I looked down at my hand.  Thanks to M I’m beginning to learn so much about myself.  I could still feel the tingling in my joints from supercharging my body.  The experience of my Elemental Form has given me the personal knowledge to use my gift however I see fit.  Peering at my palm I eased into holding my breath.  Just like that my entire hand began to surge with heat and-light.  Not only was M pushing me to discover my fire but she was showing me it’s light.  My hand swelled with a dim light allowing me to see into the darkened kitchen area and part of the living room.

“So I was right-no one’s home.”

I turned my back slowly and to my left was M’s wheelchair.  Just as Alicia said it would be.  I guess I’ll take this back with me.  Although, I wondered where Ross was a big part of me wasn’t interested in seeing him again anyway. 

Just then the back door opened slowly, “Rachel?”

His voice startled me, “Ross!? You’re old man Emmet’s nephew!”

He gave a half-ass grin.

I couldn’t believe it.  What are the odds that we’d end up partners again in our extracurricular activities?  He looked just as he did the last time I saw him, except for the bags under his eyes and the ice cream running down his shirt.

“That’s what everyone calls him?”  He gawked at my hand as I turned around, “Your hand glows?”

I really wish he’d knock it off, “Doesn’t everyone’s?”

“What are you doing here Rachel?”

I waved my hand hoping to fade the slowly dimming light, “I was told to come here even though you ratted us out.”