Main: The Boy who feared the Unknown - Allen Phillips [part 2]

“You sound like a man with a plan.” I smirked.

“What are your ties to Avalon?” M assaulted the conversation.

“I have none. I get word of a certain government contract planned for Avalon. I was lobbying to see that they didn’t get it. That was years ago. I guess I made a few enemies on the hill.”

“If you made enemies with Avalon and they went this far, then what’s stopping them from taking it out on the city or trying it again?” I questioned.

He smiled, “You all, I hope.”

M turned her chair, “What are you saying?”

The Mayor turned back and motioned into his limo. A second door opened on the same side of the limo as a long legged woman stepped out next to him.

“This is my niece Abigail. She’s acting as my new personal assistant. On the way over she came up with some new ideas and we’d like to share them with you.”

“Please to meet you. As the Mayor said we have some ideas…please join us.” She motioned for us to join them in the limo.

[THE MAYOR’S LIMO]

I was completely skeptical about the entire thing it all felt fishy to me and that’s when M took the lead.

“I guess I’ll go first.” M muttered as she rolled over to the vehicle.

Alicia and I followed. As the vehicle pulled out of the driveway Alicia’s attention faded out of the window.

Abigail adjusted her glasses, “Okay so I won’t beat around the bush with you. In my lap is a file on everything we could recover on Avalon and the billion dollar contract given to them by the government. But before I can give this to you there are a few things that I’d like to ask.”

M held up her hand, “First I wanna state that leading us into a trap of any kind at this moment would be a bad move. My friend is efficient in opening vacuums to deep space…”

The Mayor interrupted, “Please hear her out.”

“We didn’t invite you into our confidence to betray you. Everyone in this car realizes the threat that this state is facing as we continue to rebuild. The police are short handed and regardless of how anyone says it, we thank you for saving the city as many times as you have. That’s why we’re purposing a partnership.” Abigail nodded.

“…a partnership?” M questioned.

“Yes, a partnership. We allow you to do the saving and as long as you don’t abuse this privilege the Mayor has agree to keep the police off your backs. This way your group can investigate the more serious issues without endangering the police force or leading suspicions back to him…”

“Kind of like a private army?” I blurted.

“Not at all, I said partnership.  You won’t be in this alone.  Whatever you need will be provided to you…off the books of course.  You’ll be working independently.  The only thing that we ask is that you keep your identities out of the media and come to us with your findings.”

“So basically you’ll allow us to be modern day superheroes? Kinda like Batman?”

Abigail smiled, “Precisely, but instead of a commissioner you’ll have Mayor Singleton.”

“I’m not so sure about this?” I added skeptically.

“We’ll need better gear.  Cash, a place to house our tech and a small circle to keep our secret.” M added brilliantly.