VIII

((A.N.- I rewatched Newsies because it's my favorite and logged onto this account for the first time this year so. Let's ignore the fact that I abandoned this for eight months.))

------

Happier. It was as simple as that. Jack was significantly happier.

Speaking for someone who was such a general grouch, however, "significantly" didn't mean he was suddenly an overwhelming optimist who skipped about and smiled at strangers and whistled while he worked.

But his laughter came easier. His jokes were lighter and kinder and more frequent. His paintings were brighter. Somehow he felt a little less tense and sore at the end of the day.

But in spite of it all, he didn't trust it. He just couldn't trust it. Something bad was going to happen. Kids like him, they didn't get to be happy for long. The world was cruel and unforgiving and no amount of suffering would ever leave it satisfied. There was always more pain to generate, more loss to be created. A smart kid would know this; he would have a thick skin; he would be ready. And Jack did like to consider himself a smart kid.

So, he kept Crutchie at more of a distance than his stupid side wanted him to. They still did, well, everything together, but Jack didn't let anymore little moments of softness last. No more stars, no more future talk, and no hugs. Jack made sure to give Crutchie such a public hard time about that particular moment that he'd gone a bit misty eyed and red from the embarrassment. The guys kept at him for it for a couple days. It made Jack want to punch himself, but he had to play it safe. And it had worked. Crutchie had stopped touching him all together for it. That was a bit more extreme than Jack had hoped, but he figured it was better safe than sorry.

But one exception couldn't hurt. After all, Jack definitely had all the self control in the world. This just couldn't be an every day thing was all. It would be okay. Just one night of being a sentimental softie wouldn't ruin all his progress.

"Hey, Crutch," Jack said as he caught up to him. He reached out to place a hand on his shoulder.

Crutchie pulled back an inch. Jack would get used to that. Eventually. He hoped. "Oh, hey, Jack. What brings ya over here?"

"I wanna show ya somethin'," Jack tried not to sound as excited as he was.

Crutchie picked up on Jack's merriment. "What are you doin' that you gotta hide a smile for?"

"Well I gotta show ya," Jack reiterated. He tried to resist the urge to tug Crutchie along. "How's ya leg? Think ya can swing a long walk?"

"Mmm... How long is 'long?'" Crutchie said.

Dammit. Jack was hoping he wouldn't have to spend all of what he'd set aside.

"Never mind that," Jack said. "Here, come with me."

The two walked a little ways, making conversation about the day's work like usual. Crutchie kept looking around in confusion then back to Jack, but he never said anything. They were walking right past most places they usually stopped at. It became more and more apparent that Crutchie had no idea where they were going. That made Jack grin. He wanted it to be a surprise.

It wasn't front page news, but the paper had said there was an outage on the other side of Manhattan, where the buildings were taller. Usually, the lights and everything else ruined what would have been a better view than they usually got, but if Jack was right they'd be able to see more stars than they could count out there.

"Wh-- are we boarding a trolley?" Crutchie asked, surprised. When Jack nodded, he countinued, "Where you get the m--?"

"Don't you worry about that. I always try settin' a penny here and there aside in case somethin' happens."

"What happened?" Crutchie asked.

Jack ignored him in favor of not saying, "I didn't want your leg to ruin my plans," keeping quiet instead. Crutchie huffed in frustration at the lack of response.

After their ride, during which they'd hung out of the car enjoying the wind, they walked in what seemed like an aimless manner. Jack wasn't as familiar with this area, and it showed. Crutchie piped up to complain a few times, but Jack shushed him. It was finally almost completely dark, with just a bit of sunlight left to look around with, when Jack found what he was looking for.

"This way," Jack put a hand on his shoulder and guided him towards an alley. Crutchie didn't pull away. Jack hated himself for noticing and caring.

"Are ya gonna kill me? Ya drag me off to da other side of town then wait till it's dark ta shove me inta some alley neither of us ever seen--," Crutchie whined.

"Wouldja quiet down?" Jack cut him off again. "There's a buncha rich folks sleepin' around here."

Jack helped Crutchie up the series of ladders and steps up the side of what seemed to be some kind of business headquarters. It became apparent that Jack was pushing Crutchie's limits, but he was determined to have his night go right.

"Just a little further," Jack called over his shoulder, thinking Crutchie was behind him.

"Jack, I... Can't," Came Crutchie's reply, further away than Jack had anticipated.

Jack looked back and saw a very sweaty Crutchie huffing and clutching his side and all but doubling over.

You're an idiot, Kelly, He thought to himself as he climbed back down to Crutchie's level.

"I'm sorry, kid, I just... Got excited," Jack said.

"Why?" Crutchie asked, still panting. "What's up there?"

"A better view," Jack answered.

"Of what?"

Jack didn't answer verbally; he simply pointed to the sky. Crutchie looked up. That killer grin lit his face up.

"Oh, wow!" Crutchie said.

Jack smiled, but not for the view. "Yeah, that's what the middle of nowhere looks like. Bein' able ta get up high and not havin' lights every where is practically the same thing."

"Can't believe you wasted your money on a ride so I could look at some stars," Crutchie joked.

"Wasted money and risked my ass," Jack said, revealing the contents of his bag. He hadn't really stolen the food, but he didn't want to admit just ho much money he'd used on this.

"Jack!" Crutchie said like he was getting ready to chew him out, but he didn't.

They rested for a bit, talking and laughing and shushing each other. It became clear to Jack as time ticked by they likely were going to climb up any further. He was a bit restless. If he was going to go against his instincts for some stupid late-night adventure he wanted to get every penny's worth.

"Ya ready yet?" He asked, slowly reaching to pack up his things on the hope Crutchie said yes.

Crutchie fidgeted for a moment. "I dunno, we walked an awful lot...."

Jack slumped back down, trying not to be visibly upset. He looked over to Crutchie who was blissfully unaware of his attitude, just starting up at the sky. Jack laughed internally at himself. That was the real reason he was here.

"Hey, Jack?"

"Hm?"

"How are we gettin' back home?"