9

Moving around was difficult.  I never knew how much my skin moved just to walk.  My Dad stayed home for a few days taking care of me.  David even stopped by to see how things were going.  I laid on that damn bed for three days, only moving to eat drink and use the bathroom.  Not all of it was from the pain, at least half was from being doped up on pain pills.  I shopped for a new fridge, microwave and oven online.  I paid online and David and his friends picked it up and installed everything.  David told me he bought a new tv for both his room and the living room.  I had given him a little bit of play money from what we got from mom. 
I think after a few days of not getting anything done, Dad had thought it was time to move on.  I was moving around a little better, but I stayed in bed most of the time.  I was staying more conscious and taking pills less often.  Dad told me they were going to fix the furnace and pipes.  That when I did decide to clean the stink off I would need clean water to shower in.  I know he was trying to cheer me up.  I couldn't stink that bad. 
I signed two blank checks and Dad went to the motel for a few hours.  He made David go with Nath so he could fill my role.  I think after what happened, Dad wanted David to pick up the slack until I felt better.  But Dad didn't realize David would invite over his buddies and hide out in the barn anyway.  I text David, and he said they were working on the tractor.  Just a tune up, and they would also fix up the chicken coop.  Whatever.  He could take care of all that.  I had no intentions of being a farm girl. 
I would have starved to death if it wasn't for Nath.  Not really.  He just brought me up a snack.  It was still very thoughtful.  Peanut butter and banana on toasted bread with a tall glass of milk with ice.  It sucked eating.  I either had to lay on my side and try not to choke, or stand.  The back of my leg was still burned and had even blistered a little. 
I laid on my side while I scarfed down the goodness.  He had even put a straw in my glass.  He was laying down on the bed in front me and talked to me about what he had done today.
"I replaced all of the pipes that I could see in the basement.  I wanted to talk to you about the furnace."
"Okay so talk" I mumbled out between peanut butter and banana.
"You know it needs to be replaced.  It's the main reason for the water color when you turn on the faucet."
"So replace it."  I watched his face turn anguished.
"It's actually a boiler.  The one I think you should get is almost 7."
"700? no big deal."
He smiled at me like I was a cute little puppy.  "Seven thousand."
I wanted to blow banana all over him.  "Okay that is kinda a big deal.  But if we need it, we need it.  You can put it in right?"
"Yeah, I'll have to get a small crew together to help me get it in the basement."
"No need.  That lazy brother of mine and his friends will help you."
His eyebrows furrowed.  "Like they were supposed to help me today?"
"I pay the bills here.  I make the rules.  Plus we can pay them in beer.  It will be cheaper."  I pulled out my phone and text David. "I need help.'  I finished my sandwich and my glass of milk.  "What's next after the furnace?"  I tried to keep the conversation going on something neutral, casual.  I was starting to think how weird it was with him and me both in my bed, me in a pair of shorts no panties and a make shift halter.  My blisters had gone down but the skin was still tender.
I was only half paying attention to his reply about the roof when David text me back.  'what do you need.  I'm busy.'  I never realized how much of an asshole my little brother could be.  'don't worry about it.  You and your friends are going to help with the new furnace.  No bullshit. or we aren't staying here.'
"I'll need help with the roof too.  It hasn't rained yet so we don't know how bad it is.  I can go check it out, but we should wait until you can move better to take on that project."
"Why would it matter?  I'm not helping with the roof or anything anytime soon."
Nath smiled at me.  "The attic door is in your closet.  I don't want you to feel uncomfortable with people walking in and out of your room."
"Can you do me a favor.  Rub my cream on my back?  David said he was too busy. The gloves and jar are under the sink."
I rolled over to my stomach and waited for him to return.  I already knew his answer before I asked.  He cared about me.  Something I hadn't realized until the incident happened.  I thought it was all about the sex.  All about my body.  Maybe it still was, but he was being so sweet now.  I really wanted to ask him about when we were kids.  Why he hung out with a little girl when he could have been playing with boys his age.  Weren't kids suppose to have cooties at that age?
Nath came out of my bathroom and sat on the side of the bed.  He didn't say a word to me as he gently applied the cream to my arm.  He rubbed down the less painful parts first, my arm and leg.  He then went to my back and I was soon filled with mix emotions of pain and comfort.  His hand went lower and soon tucked under my waistband.  He pulled my shorts down to check out the skin on my behind. 
"How's it looking back there?"  I think I should take a pain pill soon.  I could feel him smile at me.  One of those smiles that were sad at what he saw but happy that he was getting to see what he was.  He started rubbing the cream into my skin on one cheek.
"Pretty good.  The skin is almost healed here.  You should be able to sit normally in a day or two with little discomfort."  He smacked my other cheek and I squealed.  "To even out the pain."
I couldn't help but to giggle.  "I'll write you a check for the furnace.  How soon can it be put in?"
He came out of the bathroom from putting away the jar and throwing away the gloves.  "Two or three days.  I can have it installed in a few hours, but we have to order it and that takes time to deliver."
"And until then what are you going to do?"
"I can go back to the hotel and do my job or if you want me around here I can prep for the roof, or install a new dishwasher, redo the floors."  He was now standing next to my bed, rubbing up and down on my good leg.
"How much is all this going to cost me?  I never said anything about a dishwasher."
His hand crept up my leg, his fingertips inching between them.  "What's my limit?"
"I'm being serious right now."
"So am I"  His finger was brushing against my sensitive skin.  My hand caught his arm to stop him, to show him how serious I was.  It was awkward and I know if he wanted to continue, he could.
He caught my hand and tangled our fingers then knelt down in front of my face.  He kissed my knuckles like a silent apology, but somehow I felt he was apologizing for so much more than what he was doing a few seconds ago.
"For everything, about ten grand.  Roofing is not cheap, but that is worst case.  The floor is only a few hundred, Dishwasher is how much ever you want to spend.  The roof might need a complete gut, beams and all if there were any leaks.  If it is just shingles, It might only be a few thousand.  It is still a big roof."
"I'll pick out a dishwasher.  You can redo the floors in the mean time.  Just downstairs.  these up here don't look so bad."
He kissed my hand again and left me.  I would write him out a check for everything later.  Right now I just wanted to sleep in my medicated state.