Chapter One

Juliana entered the upstairs nursery. The small room was near the attic. It had not been used in years, so it surprised Juliana to see the light coming from under the door. Slowly she opened it to reveal a beautiful sixteen-year-old girl sitting with her legs tucked beneath her, a box on her lap and letters spread in a fan before her.

"Annabelle? Whatever are you doing in here?"

Annabelle looked startled until she realized her governess and closest friend Juliana discovered her. She gave a deep sigh of relief.

"I am packed and ready to leave tomorrow." She watched the sorrow flicker in Juliana's eyes. Juliana knelt before her.

"I shall miss you terribly."

"Clara is still here," Annabelle offered, but they knew that in a year or two her sister Clara would follow Annabelle to her Aunt's to be presented for her season and then Juliana would be left alone in this house with no one to love her.

Annabelle hated the very idea of her friend being left in such a state. "You've been such a wonderful governess to Clara and I. I am certain you could ask for letters of recommendation from Mother once Clara leaves and perhaps you can find a new home and family."

Juliana smiled. "There is no need to worry about me. I can take care of myself. It is you who I am worried for."

"Me?"

"Yes. Why are you here, all alone, the night before you are to leave?"

"Well, I am to go to my Aunt's to be presented. To find a husband and I guess I wanted to look over the letters from my other suitors to know what I should expect or perhaps what I should be looking for?"

"Other suitors?" Juliana asked with a sly grin. In truth, she knew of Annabelle's secret box of letters, and her suitors. With Annabelle's beauty it was to be expected, and with her sweet disposition and penchant for getting into trouble it was more of a given.

Annabelle blushed. "There have been a few that have written quite lovely letters or poetic verse. I never replied to any of them of course but it was rather sweet of them to write. I've kept them all here in this box and hid the box from Mother in this room."

"Shall we read them together?" Juliana asked, conspiratorially.

Annabelle giggled. "Yes, let's!"

For hours the girls giggled together over the feeble attempts the boys had made to win fair Annabelle's heart. Letters like...

Dearest Annabelle,

Quite lovely weather we are having but not nearly so lovely as you. What sun could compare to your radiance? You glow from within and have lit my heart ablaze. Please, save me from being completely consumed and tell me you'll be mine!

Yours truly,

William Kelsey

Or

My Dear Annabelle,

Red the rose is as it grows

So does my love for you

Blue is the forget me not

Please tell me it holds true

Violet is the sweetest smell

Crushed upon a heel.

And crushed I may be

For it is my heart you did steal.

An Admirer from the Shire

"Oh, what poor boy did you do this to?" Juliana admonished.

Annabelle shrugged. "I have not the foggiest."