Chapter Nine

Lady Cantrell had kept the appointments she had made only she had done so without the company of her niece. As Lady Foxcroft droned on and on about what... Lady Cantrell could not say, she thought of her conversation with Mr. Kane.

He had surprised her when he proclaimed not wanting the fortune he knew was coming to her niece. Still she had her reservations. He was self-made, not a member of the Ton. Whatever monies he claimed to have received must have been made through unscrupulous ventures. How else could one so young be so solvent?

"You see what I mean, Augusta?"

Lady Cantrell who had stopped listening quite some time ago, was forced to admit,  "I am sorry to say I have drifted. I have much on my mind."

Lady Foxcroft looked stunned to discover that her friend was not listening to her but as she had her own agenda to press she repeated her statement.

"My nephew, Lord Foxcroft, I believe would be a perfect match for your niece. Certainly, it would be in both their best interests to be introduced after she is presented at court."

"Your nephew?" Lady Cantrell tried to remember if she had ever met the boy.

"He has been studying abroad and has recently returned. He is just the right age to turn his mind to settling down and I have no doubt your niece to be an excellent match for him."

Lady Cantrell could not recall anything about him, but politely said, "I will be certain they are introduced."

This pleased Lady Foxcroft immensely. "When is Annabelle to be presented at court?"

"We have received word that her application has been accepted, but not a time when she is to be presented. Given the state of King George I was surprised that the Queen was accepting applications, but I imagine it may be sometime before we are told when we are to arrive."

"I see," Lady Foxcroft said looking disappointed. "Well, perhaps you could hold a ball for her?"

"It would be improper to do so before she is formally presented," Lady Cantrell said, surprised Lady Foxcroft would even consider the idea possible.

"Yes, yes, of course. I was just thinking of your niece. It would be a shame if she missed her fair share of entertainment because she is waiting on the whims of the Queen but you are quite right, you would not want to upset the royal family."

"Quite right," Lady Cantrell echoed, taking out her pocket watch. "My look at the time. I must be going. I promised my niece I would return to check in on her."

Again, Lady Foxcroft looked disappointed. "If you must. I do hope the child feels well soon."

"Thank you," Lady Cantrell said, and promptly took her leave.

Upon arriving home she found her niece in a much-altered state. She was just sitting in front of her canvas, staring. If she did not know better she would have sworn the girl had been crying.

"Annabelle has something happened. Have you had news from home?"

Annabelle quickly scrubbed at her face, "No Aunt, I am ... I am just feeling homesick and so feel a little out of sorts at the moment."

Ms. Pratt had announced that dinner was ready and the two had followed her inside. Lady Cantrell had taken several long glances at her niece as they walked. If it were possible she would say her niece had appeared somewhat dimmed.

At dinner there was little small talk. Annabelle had told her about the progress on her painting and Lady Cantrell told her about her visits with her friends. Annabelle felt bad that she had to attend to so much alone.